metal interior door jambs - removing & reusing

homeboundJune 19, 2006

How does one remove (without destroying) interior metal door frames/jambs?

I haven't put a blade to the stops yet, but I'm wondering if the stops conceal the screws or are they fastened some other way. (So far it all looks like one piece.) Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abnorm

The door jambs I'm familiar with.....(generally used in commercial/apartment projects).......fasten to the narrow EDGE of framing members rather than the broad FACE of the framing as with wood jambs......basically a U shaped jamb with fasteners thru the legs.........

The steel jambs are stonger/straighter than wood and do not need to be shimmed like wooden jambs.......

IF there's applied casing on the wall surface....remove it and look for fasteners........

IF the units are "plastered" flush (w/o additional casing)......expect the fastener location under the plaster adjacent to the jamb.......

They're also installed structurally during the framing......sandwiching the framing members.....so removing them will probably require cutting or removing portions of the framing.......

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 7:54AM
abnorm

I just googled for a visual.....Here's a link to a typical CAD drawing.........

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal Jamb

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 8:08AM
homebound

Thanks. No additional casing in my case, and I haven't found the fastener heads yet. I think I going to cut some of the wall and then perform some disection.

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 10:03AM
homebound

Well, in my demo job I found out how they went in. Basically, they were nailed, through brackets, to the framing prior to drywall, three per side at basically same heights as hinges. (This was done in the late 40's, so it was finished with 3/4 wall material.) It's a complete one piece frame, and the wall material butts up against the casing afterward on the install.

Unfortunately the frames were also nailed to the subfloor, which meant I inadvertently pulled up some hardwood.

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Structural Engineer - What do I need to Know?
I'm planning a kitchen gut/remodel in my three-story,...
Carrie B
Do I match exterior door/window hardware to interior?
We will have white interior doors with oil rubbed bronze...
happyallison
Removing brick and install what?
Just for the sake of discussion...if one was to remove...
mlo1
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
tmolly
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
isabelyw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™