Installing sheetrock over sheetrock on ceiling

schutz2106June 23, 2007

I am looking to do a remodel on a couple rooms which will involve pulling down to studs. A few years ago I blew 17 inches of insulation in the attic. What I am wondering is can I leave existing sheetrock on the ceiling, scrape off the popcorn and sheet right over that.

That would be much easier than dealing with all the insulation and then having to blow more back up in the attic.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierraeast

As stated here many times, if your house is older, have a sample of the acoustic(popcorn) ceiling tested for asbestos.

After the removal of the acoustic, you might only need to re-mud and touch up the existing drywall. You can go another layer using longer fasteners and you will have to extend electrical and any ducting or other protrusions. You might want to check to see if the ceiling framing will handle the extra weight of another layer of rock. Personally i would just deal with the existing ceiling.

Bookmark   June 23, 2007 at 7:28PM
bus_driver

I see no need to scrape. I had a house in which the (dopehead) occupants packed heavy stuff in the attic supported only by the ceiling drywall. The trusses were 2' on center. The drywall bowed and cracked. Like you, I did not want to pull down all that blown-in insulation. So I used "strapping" (1 x 4 planks) 12" on center on the existing ceiling surface screwed into the trusses with 2 1/2" screws. I used a Tee-Jak to push up the strapping (and old drywall) tight against the truss. The new drywall went on the strapping. That dropped the ceiling 1 1/4" inches, not noticeable. The new drywall is much better supported and stuff in the attic should not damage the new since the strapping will support the accumulated "plunder".

Bookmark   June 23, 2007 at 7:29PM
brickeyee

If you need to cover over the ceiling rent a drywall lift.
The manual ones are OK for short use, the compressed gas powered ones are better for long term.

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 11:25AM
More Discussions
Pocket door questions
I am considering a butler's pantry/scullery addition...
rockybird
bookshelves around a fireplace with a vaulted ceiling
I am looking for help regarding design ideas for adding...
montanabo
Popcorn Ceiling Removal...Is it worth it?
I have read many of the posts regarding Popcorn Ceilings...
cudjoegal
Small bath remodel - problem tub size
I could use some advice. We decided it is high time...
thomis
Turning bedroom into walk-in closet
Our new/old house has small closets in the two smallish...
poppy3212
Sponsored Products
Filament Design Posts Providence 4-Light 30.5 in. Outdoor Charcoal Post Head
Home Depot
ORE International Lamps 30 in. 2-Light Brass Pendant Table Lamp 713G
Home Depot
Elk Lighting Angelite Weathered Silver Six-Light 32'' Wide Chandelier
$518.00 | LuxeDecor
Allegri Rockefeller Chrome Four-Light Pendant
LuxeDecor
Toto Rowan Round Toilet - CST405F#01
$163.50 | Hayneedle