Estimate for new front door

akinnairdJune 15, 2014

New to the forum. Hope you can help me out.

We are planning to replace our 70-year-old front door. We got an estimate for a Provia fiberglass door with small glass windows across the top, basic hardware, and a basic aluminum storm door. Including installation the estimate was $5200. This seems high to me. Any thoughts. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

It does not seem high to me.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 12:08PM
kudzu9

I just got a quote for a high quality, insulated, fiberglass door and the cost without hardware was $660, and another $600 for the installation. Now this was a slab door without glass, but it was also a non-standard, oversize door (84" tall). An aluminum storm door would have added less than $200, and quality new locks about $150. So that's a total of less than $1600...installed. You're describing a somewhat fancier door with a couple of windows, but that shouldn't add another $3600 to the price! Provia is a quality door, but it's still just a door, and they are wildly over-priced in my opinion. I think you should get more quotes from other reliable door companies.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 1:30PM
scrappy25

I just had Provia steel double french doors with grilles and basic hardware installed in the back of the house, $4900 (included enlarging the opening).

Fiberglass is more expensive.,

Provia is top of the line but you get what you pay for.

The only way to see if your price is fair is to get another Provia estimate, apples to apples for the same product. Your estimates will probably be within a few hundred dollars of each other.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 2:18PM
millworkman

Unfortunately kudzu $650 is in no way shape or form going to purchase a "high quality" exterior door of any type.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 9:02PM
kudzu9

millworkman-
All I can tell you is that is the quote I got from what I consider to be the best door specialty store in Seattle. I know it would cost me more to have a door with windows and simulated molding and panels, but not thousands more. My point was that $5200 is awful high for a door. Reality is somewhere between that high quote and the one I got for a basic (but quality) insulated fiberglass door.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 11:01PM
live_wire_oak

Not high at all. Especially for the door under consideration.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 10:17AM
jewelisfabulous

Depending on the market value of your house, $5200 might actually be on the low side. Based on how much you're willing to spend, it might too high, just right, or too low. Only you can gauge if the door matches the value of your property and your willingness to write the check.

For us, personally, we'd never pay $5200 for a front door because it would just be totally out of whack for this home in this neighborhood. Maybe $2500 - $3000 (with labor), but it would need to be an exceptional door.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Cost to build cabinets/shelving
I have two unrelated cabinetry projects I'd like to...
noreastern
need help designing shed dormers
we bought an 1864 post and beam house and want to add...
lisafromvermont
Dog Grooming/Bathing Station, show me your pictures, please
I really need to include a bathing/grooming area in...
thbennet
Kitchen cabinet rankings- middle of the line
We are redoing my kitchen. It is 11x13. I saw a ranking...
Jessica Galvin
Help with exterior remodel!
Help! I want to remodel the exterior of my house. ...
Jeff Holmes
Sponsored Products
Cream Antique Storage Bench
$1,699.99 | zulily
Brazo Floor Lamp
Design Within Reach
Corner Toilets White/Cobalt Round Dual Flush Corner Toilet | 17676
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Home Decorators Collection Ceiling Fans Marshlands LED 52 in. Indoor/Outdoor
Home Depot
Wood Flower Sconce # 1 by Johnson Art Studio
$219.60 | Lumens