Non-smooth-top electric range

chisueApril 2, 2014

I may be limited to GE, Kenmore, etc. when I replace the slide-in range at our condo on Maui. The current smoothtop has been ruined by guests and/or maids. Any suggestions for an 'element' top range? Things to look out for?

I'm probably going to have to do all four appliances -- plan on 'bisque' color. Limited to GE for side X side w/water -- only their 20 cu ft will fit existing width.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Not much but super basic available with coil top. They're designed for builder grade apartments with the smooth tops getting all the design upgrades love. Usually nothing but basic black or white available too. Bisque is really hard to find in just about everything.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 7:24PM
gabbythecat

You've probably googled this? The first google hit for me was a Kenmore in bisque/coil top that looks like it has pretty decent features and good reviews...I didn't look beyond that, but there appears to be at least *one* decent unit!

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 8:04PM
snookums2

How was the glasstop ruined?

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 8:53PM
chisue

Oh, I can find 'bisque' ranges, and all the other appliances too -- even on Maui! Maybe Consumer Reports can help me sort any flaws.

snookums2 -- Most of the damage at our condo comes from the maids/cleaners. (Which is why it doesn't get reported...since they are to do the reporting! LOL) I've had smooth cooktops for decades, since Corning first came out with them. No troubles. I clean with Bon Ami. I have posted a notice at our condo to use ONLY Bon Ami on cooktop and Corian. It's ignored, and things get scratched. The range top looks as though someone spread tomato sauce over it and cooked it on, then tried to scour it off with steel wool! I am hoping nobody can ruin an elements-top range. (Stay tuned...)

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 10:55AM
a2gemini

Chisue
Don't give up on the smooth top,but get induction instead.
Your analysis is probably correct- burned on remnants and scoured off.
Do you rent the condo?

The difference between induction and smooth top is induction heats the pan and not the cooktop so less sticky messes that stick to the surface.

BTW- even though induction is heating the pan, the glass cooktop does get warm/hot just where the pan was sitting- so don't "test" it by placing your hand on the surface- glass gets hot! (FYI - I didn't do this but remember reading about someone who did this- ouch)

I only use dish soap or ceramic cleaner on mine. I have never tried Bon ami on it- but isn't Bon ami a powder- not sure if that would scratch or not.

This post was edited by a2gemini on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 11:50

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Honed Vermont Danby marble countertop owners... Love it or leave it???
I am hoping to understand people's experience who have...
Pippin
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
Review a friend's kitchen?
You all helped me tremendously in planning our kitchen...
camandann
reasonable time before receipt of general contractor's estimate ?
What is a reasonable time to wait before a contractor's...
jeannette10
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™