Survived PT.

grammypOctober 24, 2011

Had my first physical therapy today, and survived! It felt so good to get those big bulky bandages off and have some fresh air on my leg. They put me through some stretching and strengthening exercises to do twice a day, iced it, re-wrapped it, and sent me on my way. She thinks I will be able to do the bike ride next week if I ride the tandem and put the flat pedals back on. The rides are short and flat, so not much pressure on the knee. I can drive as long as it isn't a stick shift, do stairs (but not carrying anything), and shower as long as the stitches don't get wet. I go back Wed for another hour of work with weights. Thursday I will see the doc again and make sure things are going well.

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes, they are so welcome!

beverly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
K8Orlando

Congrats! It's not fun but it's important. I wish I had gone longer than i did!

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 8:07PM
magothyrivergirl

Isn't ice wonderful? You sound like you are progressing nicely. Yay!

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 8:24PM
mary_c_gw

Oh, I can't say enough about keeping up with the PT. Good job!! You'll be moving around freely very soon!

Go as long as you possibly can, because a good therapist can spot pretty quickly if your needs change, as in one muscle may need more work than another.

DH has been having PT for his back pain for the last 3 months. He's down to once every 3 weeks, and if he doesn't keep up with the exercises, pain ensues. His therapist can always tell if he's been doing them.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 9:03PM
K8Orlando

Ice is a lifesaver. I still ice most evenings. Like Mary says, keeping up with the PT is critical. It's easy in the beginning but after a while it starts to drag and you can't really see much improvement. But if you stop, you can rapidly lose some of your range of motion. I've been bad about doing any exercises the past month and I'm paying the price; I've got some work to do!

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 9:13PM
nanajayne

Congratulations! You have the right attitude and the will to accomplish a successful recovery. Good luck. Jayne

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 12:16AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Beverly, Sounds like you're doing everything you're supposed to be doing and will be among the riders next week. Keep up the good work.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 9:29AM
sunnycentralFL

Wishing you a speedy recovery! PT is not for Wimps!

Hang in there!
Gwen

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 9:45AM
buteau3rd

That made my day! Happy that your therapy went well. I'm sure there was some discomfort, but can see the great reward in store when you are done.
I have seen a lot of knee surgeries here, and the successes are the ones that do what they are advised.
Keep up the good work and attitude.
Marge

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 11:18AM
grammyp

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I did my PT last night and this morning. I am a bit sore, but not bad enough to take my pain meds. Biggest problem right now is stairs. I have to take them one at a time and remember step up with my "good" leg and down with "bad" leg. I'm getting there!

beverly

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
Freddie Fox
I've been working on various works in progress, sandwiching...
littlehelen_gw
Still having trouble separating my GW and H accounts
Just posting this to be sure it works after I confirmed....
quiltnhen
How about a QOTD ????
What is your bestest, most favorite, the "I never...
beth7happy
Help quilting forum
can't get pictures to go with the posts
babyarlo
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™