Sunroom smells like Cat Urine - Need fixing/remodelling ideas

saakJune 28, 2010

Hi All,

I need some help about what to do with this old sunroom built by the previous owner. It smells like Cat Urine (particularly on a humid day). I tried cleaning with pine sol/Nature's Miracle, and I even re-capped an old sewer cleanout in the room, but to no avail. Still really bad.

Since the chemical cleanings are not working, I am leaning toward replacing the flooring with tile. Problem is the existing floor is one of those epoxy aggregate pebble floors. Should I just use a sledge-hammer? I am worried I will just leave an un-level mess of concrete.

Any other ideas to make this space livable? (Also, please take a look at the roof, not sure what the material is but is this ok for a sunroom?) Pics below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunroom Pics

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andrelaplume2

The dreaded cat urine. Nothing is going to eliminate that. We ripped out the rugs and KILZ'd the floor to finally ride the room of the odor. Good Luck!

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 9:08AM
rlthomas7

I never got Nature's Miracle to work for me, but I have had good success with Anti-Icky-Poo. Yes. That's actually what it's called. You can buy it online.

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 10:11AM
worthy

Are you sure the odour is from the floor? Some epoxy aggregates are non-porous. And even the porous ones are not the same as a carpet, for instance.

I had one tenant who left me a house of urine saturated wall-to-wall broadloom. I gave the next tenant a huge break on the rent; after he removed the carpet, sanded and refinished all the floors and painted all the walls and woodwork, the house was bright and fresh.

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 1:14PM
annzgw

My guess is the odor is coming from the walls. As worthy mentioned, I'd think the epoxy flooring is non-porous.

For cleaning, use only products made for kennels and specifically for cat urine. You can try cleaning the floors and wall with the enzyme, let it dry thoroughly, then seal with shellac.

Before spending money on replacing the floor, I'd try to determine if the walls are the problem. You should buy a black light first, since it will show you the areas that are soiled.

Remember that when using the enzyme, you need to let it soak for hours for it to work well.
In addition, don't use other non-enzyme products on the odor since it prevents the enzyme products from working efficiently.

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 2:11PM
ron6519

Are you sure the odor isn't coming from the drain? Where does it connect to? If the trap is empty, you might be getting odors from the cesspool or sewer.
Ron

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
when and how to cut contractor loose?
We have been living a bathroom nightmare! All started...
BathroomBlues
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89 x-post
x-posted in Windows forum We're getting ready to remodel...
lisa_a
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
Build an Addition, Move, or Stick it out?
We live in a land-locked area with high real estate prices....
neverlandpirate
Any reviews of J & K Cabinetry?
We are redoing our kitchen and I came across this type...
Jill_homemaker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™