Circle quilt finished!

lola99October 28, 2012

I finally finished this quilt about a month ago.

Thank you to everyone who encouraged me when 1. I didn't like how the quilting looked and then 2. when the quilt started to fall apart after washing.

I went around every circle again with a very wide zigzag, and I have washed it 3x so I do not think the circles will fall apart again.

I still think it would have looked much nicer with white quilting, but it was a huge learning experience and the woman that I gave it to loves it. It is the first quilt that she has ever owned and she thinks it's great.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
K8Orlando

You did a great job fixing the problem! It's a dramatic and beautiful quilt.

Kate

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 1:58PM
bev2009

I'm so glad you were able to fix it and your friend loves it. I love the bold colors.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 2:40PM
polardreams

Lola - what a fun quilt! You did a great job, and I'm so glad your friend loves it. Nicely done.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 3:03PM
nanajayne

It looks like your fixes worked and it turned out very nice. Not always a big fan of the fabrics you used but really like the way they work in your quilt, which goes to prove everything in their place. lol. Great job. TFS.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 3:48PM
toolgranny

You've done a wonderful job. It's just lovely. I think each quilt we make teaches us something and you've certainly learned from this one. I love your colors.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 3:55PM
magothyrivergirl

Imagine the miles of thread you've used on this quilt!!! :~)
You've done a wonderful job fixing your issues. I'm so happy the recipient is thrilled. Yay for you-you got it finished and gone! Kudos for not giving up.
Don't cringe ~ or laugh ~ but I bought a pkg of 15 fat quarters, all in large floral (Free Spirit textiles) and I want to make a circle quilt like yours! Ever since you posted pics of your raveling problem, I
haven't been able to get the image out of my head. I also bought Olfa's circular Rotary Cutter and the two just seem to be destined for each other. I will not be appliqueing them - thank you!

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 4:34PM
loisflan

Lola, I think your quilt looks great. Congratulations on sticking with it and resolving the issues. Your friend has a true treasure. Lois

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 5:05PM
littlehelen_gw

Lola, Your quilt is beautiful, love the fabrics, love the design...it's no wonder your freind loves it. Well done!!!
V.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 8:54PM
murphy_zone7

Lola, the quilt is beautiful. So glad you posted about the problem you had with appliqueing the circles onto the background. Babylock website has a Holiday Circles Quilt posted that uses Christmas fabric to make the circles and appliques them to a white background. That quilt is on my to-do list for this holiday season (assuming the stars get aligned just right :)) Anyway, thanks for telling how you fixed the fraying problem you had, I may use wonder-under on the circles to fix the fraying problem before the fact. Do you think wonder under will prevent the edges fraying?
here is a link to the Holiday Circls Quilt.
Murphy

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.babylock.com/ftp/projects/Project--Circles%20Quilt.pdf

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 4:59AM
day2day

I agree with Kate. It's a beautiful, dramatic quilt.You did a good job. I like the colors you used and love the pattern.
TFS.

~Geraldine

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 7:41AM
fran1523

That's fabulous. I like that colored thread you used for quilting. I think it really adds to the overall look which is fun and funky. Great job.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 9:19AM
lola99

Eek! (yes, that was a squeak and it's the noise I made when I read that some of you are going to make this quilt.) Just kidding - it really shouldn't be a hard quilt to make, I just made it a lot more difficult than it should be.

Yes, I assume Wonder Under would help prevent the fraying, but I have not used Wonder Under very much, so I'm just assuming. Also, the first time I stitched the circles down I used a fairly small zigzag and I was trying to catch part of the circle and part of the background in every stitch. The second time around I used a wider zigzag and I was almost completely on the circle, with very little thread on the background.

I realized that I forgot to give credit to the tutorial that I used. The link is below.

Thanks once again for your nice comments. It is really fun to have this group of friends with whom I can share my quilting highs and lows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Circle Quilt Tutorial

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 9:36AM
murphy_zone7

Thanks for posting the tutorial link. I really liked her method of numbering, I usually pin and they just get in the way or cause me to bleed on my quilt. double sided tape much safer! lol
Murphy

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 7:34AM
quiltnhen

Missed this while I was offline. It's a wonderful quilt. I'm impressed that you stuck to it with all the problems. The outcome was really worth it. I agree the colored quilting is part of the fun too.

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
March 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Our March came in like a lamb. How about where you...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Retreat finishes: 2013-2014
Three down...don't ask how many more to go :-)! All...
littlehelen_gw
Harvest Moon Quilt
This is my first attempt at adding a photo. I just...
Nancy Morris
Selecting fabric - need opinions
Hi! I'm working on a black and white quilt. Each...
jlt37869
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™