stained granite

icemanldgApril 29, 2014

I accidently stained my granite counters with red wine. It is a ring from the wine glass. Ive cleaned it with soap and water, and a generic granite cleaner. No luck so far. Can I put some bleach on it and get the red out without making it look off? Thanks for your replys

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
themaid

try using a clay paste to draw it out. make a paste with something such as kaolin. was your granite overdue to be resealed? good luck!

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 7:22PM
icemanldg

the acid in the wine ate through the sealer

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 8:04PM
themaid

oh! if the paste doesn't work, the granite installer could probably buff the surface providing the stain isn't too deep.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 8:24PM
feisty68

Icemanldg, what colour is your granite? Some find that stains gradually dissipate.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 8:48PM
voila

So sorry this happened to you. Almost positive you can remove it with a poultice. I removed a maraschino cherry stain from marble with a poultice made of baking soda mixed with hydrogen peroxide and a couple drops of ammonia (remember NEVER mix ammonia and bleach!). Mix this to be a paste like peanut butter consistency. Thickly apply to the stain and cover with plastic wrap, taped on all four sides. Leave the poultice on at least 24 hrs. or until the paste is dry. As the paste dries it will pull the wine stain out of the granite. Repeat until stain is gone. I would start the process as soon as you can, as old stains are harder to remove. I have also read of making poultice out of Ajax and water. Good luck and let us know how it worked. Remember you may have to repeat 3-4 times.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 8:53PM
icemanldg

the granite is different colors there is beiges, brown, and black. has anyone ever put bleach on darker granite?

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 9:26PM
chispa

I have always used Clorox cleaner with bleach on all the granites I have owned. Previous house had a white, beige, gray, black speckled granite and it would stain if red wine was left on it. I would spray the Clorox with bleach, leave on for a few minutes and the stain would get cleaned up. Current house came with Green Marinace and I use Clorox with bleach to disinfect after preparing raw meats.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 10:53PM
icemanldg

here is a picture of the granite color. the stain is minor and hard to see

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 11:09PM
icemanldg

that was the best picture I could get of its color

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 8:13AM
More Discussions
Please help! We're getting a buzz--LED dimmer questions
We installed Commercial Electric LED can lights made...
laughablemoments
Found a granite Pergaminho, is this the same as Delicatus or Alaskan ?
I've been searching for a durable island countertop...
happyallison
White Macaubus and Sea Pearl quartzite
We are considering White Macaubus for our kitchen in...
poppy3212
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
What could cause this cracking?
Hi all, I purchased white painted cabinets from a mid-range...
sstrazisar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™