Damascus hand carry electric sewing machine

bowdencheriOctober 16, 2013

Hi,

I just purchased a Damascus electric sewing machine. I am trying to find out more information on it. I cannot find on the web info on it's model and year. I would like to also find out if I could get it up and running to use it for a small project.

It came in a carrying case. The motor is a coronet motor.

It has a serial number # 217960 3 under the plate for the shuttle.

Thank you,
Cheri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
procrastinator

Damascus was made for Montgomery Wards, but I don't recall the maker. Lovely machine- I've never seen one with floral decals.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 3:37PM
procrastinator

Damascus was made for Montgomery Wards, but I don't recall the maker. Lovely machine- I've never seen one with floral decals.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 3:39PM
littlehelen_gw

I just did a quick google on damascus sewing machine and found a number of hits, to include the manufacturer (national sewing machine company), a manual for download etc.
I'm sure you've done the same, and while it may be difficult to find specifics on the model number you have, a manual might be a start. Sorry this isn't more helpful. Good luck in your quest.
Pretty machine...hope you get her up and running!

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 10:40PM
bowdencheri

I found some pictures and it looks like the treadle damascus machines. I am thinking that this has been converted to run with an electric motor. The manual I found for the Damascus Vibrating Shuttle looks most like this machine. I was able to thread it and sew a couple seams. The top thread breaks often so now I have to figure out what is causing that.

I will work on cleaning and oiling it before I play too much more.

Thank you. If anyone knows for sure that it is the treadle machine that has been converted then I will be able to figure out what size needles and shuttle I need to have.

Thank you,
Cheri

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 10:53PM
nanajayne

I am not well informed but I would seem to me if it came in a carrying case it wouldn't be a conversion. Just a thought.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 2:17PM
calliope

Most standard machines with a common mount will fit interchangeably into other carrying cases. Many women bought portables and later mounted them into cabinets designed for the same mounting holes. The earliest electrics were the same machine as the treadles with a motor mounted externally. It amounted to a factory conversion, but still a conversion. Any electro-mechanical machine with the proper hand wheel can be converted to a treadle. My 1960ish singer is easily mounted in a treadle base and will take a belt.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 3:27PM
nanajayne

Interesting.. Didn't know that.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Retreat finishes: 2013-2014
Three down...don't ask how many more to go :-)! All...
littlehelen_gw
2015 February Block Lotto
(posting this a bit early so you can get a head start...
toolgranny
Still having trouble separating my GW and H accounts
Just posting this to be sure it works after I confirmed....
quiltnhen
2015 Lotto Blocks
Finished Feb. Lotto block and want to get started on...
ibquiltn4fun
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™