subcontractor as remodeler

richardtbMay 18, 2013

I am doing a major apartment remodel, 300-400k.
The architect has already done the architecture plans.
Originally, I was going to hire an engineer to draw the mechanicals, and then use those to get the city permits and pick a contractor.
Our architect has however suggested that we hire three subcontractors (HVAC, plumbing and electrical) to draw the mechanical plans. Each company has an engineer, so they will be able to put an engineer seal on the plans. What do you think of this option?

PS: note there was a typo on the title of my thread. It should have said "subcontractor as mechanical engineer"

This post was edited by richardtb on Sat, May 18, 13 at 19:37

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

If I were doing a remodel that expensive, I would want ONE company with the three disciplines do the drawings AND the work.

Matter of working together---the HVAC guys need specific room, the plumbing often has to work around the HVAC, and the electrical has to avoid both.

If the designers work for the same boss---and the workers work for the same boss as the designers---the one boss makes sure all the above do the best job.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 11:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
richardtb

Thank you handymac. However that is not an option. I should have mentioned that the apartment is in a high rise and that everyone has told us that we should stick to companies that have already done work in the high rise. So, we haven't heard of a company that does that with experience in our building. Hopefully, the contractor will make sure that all the subcontractors work together.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
Structural Engineer - What do I need to Know?
I'm planning a kitchen gut/remodel in my three-story,...
Carrie B
Build an Addition, Move, or Stick it out?
We live in a land-locked area with high real estate prices....
neverlandpirate
Ideas on changing floorplan / budget remodel for family home.
Hello; We are a family of five. Currently our oldest...
newdawn2001
Removing brick and install what?
Just for the sake of discussion...if one was to remove...
mlo1
Laying tile without cement board?
We pulled some tile up in several spaces. The tile...
nostalgicfarm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™