Laying cut limestone on concrete

srjohntMay 23, 2014

I am replacing a porch that was torn off of my 1820's brick house. I have a stonemason who has duplicated the old limestone foundation blocks, and we have faced a concrete porch form with them. now, we need to cap the porch with 3" thick cut limestone blocks. Around the perimeter the blocks are 36" x 16", and inside the perimeter the field blocks are 12" x 24" Everything is 3" thick. My question relates to laying the limestone blocks on the concrete. I assume a mortar bed, but would a large notched trowel be the way to go? I have reservations about just plopping down a mud bed and trying to level all these blocks, as it seems as you go along, there would be no place for the mortar to go, whereby with a large notched trowel, it would be somewhat like laying giant tiles, and the notched trowel would make room for the mortar to spread out. Don't know if this will work, though.

Any experience with a situation like this, or any advice?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

srjohnt:

I'd check into this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ditra drain

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 9:13PM
PatRBB

One of my projects was taking kitchen counter-top scrap and placing it on a concrete slab. This solved a problem for the cost factor that the buyer wanted. He wanted a flagstone patterned, flattened, non skid surface that he could drive on with his vehicles and had natural stone. Doing this is labor and cost prohibitive using traditional 2-3in flagstones laid in sand bed with cement grout mortar as they are too unstable for vehicles to maintain integrity. Instead we did a cement pad to support the vehicles and laid a veneer over the top with the 1 inch scrap sedimentary types of stone. Then the polish was sand blasted which was messy but allowed use of larger pieces without slippage on the surface. The workers appreciated the less weight and inc safety of using the scrap as the same surface size could be manipulated by one person instead of 2-3 with traditional flag stone. Here is a picture of the finished site, not exciting but very utilitarian.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 2:24PM
PatRBB

LOL...he could probably get the same effect with stamped/stained concrete, but he wanted that natural stone...Very happy with the product

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 2:25PM
srjohnt

Well, Thanks to everyone who replied. I didn't get any specifics on "how to do it", so here's what we did, and so far, so good.

I figured this was somewhat like a tile job, but with heavy tiles (3" thick) and mortar instead of thinset. I couldn't find a trowel with notches larger than 1/2" so I modified one of those with a grinder to 3/4. Mixed a rich mortar mix with bonding admixture, then troweled the mortar with the notched trowel, and laid the stones with a 78 inch level. It came out really well. Perimeter stones are laid, and field stones dry laid for size, We'll finish up tomorrow.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Laying tile without cement board?
We pulled some tile up in several spaces. The tile...
nostalgicfarm
Replacing shower recessed light with vent/light
Our house has a 6" can light over the bath/shower....
postalgbv
Help! Ceilings are dipping!
I don't know if this is just an unusual series of events...
andrelaplume2
Any reviews of J & K Cabinetry?
We are redoing our kitchen and I came across this type...
Jill_homemaker
Getting ready to remodel the second floor, where to start?
We are beginning to interview contractors. Would like...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™