Question about support column

tfitz1006May 14, 2013

We are renovating after Sandy. Kitchen and eating area are becoming open plan and the roof was raised to allow for a more expansive feel. Contractor first thought we'd need a supportive post, then said no, now says we need one. On the plan it is 4"x4" and abuts a new kitchen island. Thoughts? Would it be better to make the post larger and perhaps have some shelves, a charging station? Or is it better to leave it small? Should the contractor be thinking about making it look nice (like a rounded column)? I think right now it's a 4x4 and that's it. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

The "contractor" should have consulted a structural engineer before "deciding" anything. He's not qualified to make such structural calculations. You need to have an engineer take a look ASAP if you don't want your roof falling in on you.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 8:49PM
HandyMac

If the column is necessary, what you do with it past the structural part is purely a decorating/usage function.

Have the situation resolved by an architect or structural engineer and then decide what you want to do.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 9:16PM
Fori is not pleased

If it turns out you need it, check the kitchen forum for ways to make it look nice. It's not an uncommon problem and there are some pretty good solutions.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 12:35PM
tfitz1006

An engineer and architect have confirmed that we need the column.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 12:48PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Do you have a picture that would illustrate this dilemma? We have the same problem in an entirely different way, but the common factor is load bearing posts. Ours are 4 x 4 also, and we opted to cover with drywall. I didn't think about making them round columns. More $$$............
Suzi

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Getting ready to remodel the second floor, where to start?
We are beginning to interview contractors. Would like...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Do I match exterior door/window hardware to interior?
We will have white interior doors with oil rubbed bronze...
happyallison
How does a General Contractor work...do I need one ?
I am new to remodeling anything in my house. I have...
jeannette10
Bad Countertop Fabrication
Hello, Hoping to get some advice/opinions! We just...
diynola
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89 x-post
x-posted in Windows forum We're getting ready to remodel...
lisa_a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™