Best way to remove a glue down wood floor?

darenkaMay 26, 2007

Oh you remodeling wise ones--does anyone have any suggestions for removing a glued down wood floor? We were hoping it might be a floating floor--no such luck. I cannot just leave it because then the hallway would be 1/2-3/4 inch above the living room. I'd prefer not to go back to the sunken living room of the 70's. I just want a beautiful expanse of gorgeous wood floor throughout. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

What is it glued to?
With concrete you can usually pop it off.
With wood it is often easier to cut through the floor and the sub floor, strip to the joists, and lay a new sub floor.
Ripping it off from a wood layer will leave a rough surface that would require a new layer to smooth it (some of the sub floor usually comes up).

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 3:59PM
darenka

I had no idea how lucky I was to have it glued to concrete. I guess this means a trip to the hardware store to find a bigger pry bar--maybe mine is just too undersized. Well, while I'm doing jumping jacks on the pry bar, I'll say "at least I'm not replacing the whole sub floor". It's just another adventure in home destruction/improvement. Thanks for reminding me it could all be much worse. It just needs bigger tools! Of course, I am missing out on the chance to do some more destruction with the sawzall.

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 11:21PM
brickeyee

Wonder Bar

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 11:37PM
More Discussions
Help! Ceilings are dipping!
I don't know if this is just an unusual series of events...
andrelaplume2
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
isabelyw
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
tmolly
Bad Countertop Fabrication
Hello, Hoping to get some advice/opinions! We just...
diynola
Laying tile without cement board?
We pulled some tile up in several spaces. The tile...
nostalgicfarm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™