cost question -- getting rid of sliding doors

maxwe111May 5, 2014

I'm about to create a new master suite in a room that has two sets of sliding glass doors. Ideally I'd like to keep one set, and close up the other ones.

Roughly (very roughly ok), what does this kind of thing cost? I am going to repaint the house after the project, so that part will be covered already. The house exterior is stucco.

I am in Oakland, so I know the job will be pricier than average, but I wanted a rough idea of what I'm in for. Any thoughts?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

DIY or contractor?

    Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 6:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Definitely contractor. Thanks!

    Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 7:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


I'm gonna guess 4 grand or so.

    Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 8:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If the contractor is legit, they will know this.

Is/are there a windows/s which will satisfy the light and ventilation requirements?

Because sliding glass doors, do not.

    Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 8:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Are there Iron bars over the glass? In Oakland, things are done a little differently. It's more about survival of the fittest. Light, ventilation, and egress code violations are ubiquitous. People are more concerned with creating a defensible space.

Are you going to have permits? I certainly recommend them. Many contractors in that area do not know/follow the building codes because they are rarely enforced.

    Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 9:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for the feedback -- that's helpful. I wanted a rough idea of my budget before I hire a contractor. Everything will be properly permitted. There are indeed other windows and proper ventilation--and no bars. "Defensible space" is not so much of an issue.

    Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 4:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I wouldn't think much over 1K would be reasonable.

Bedroom have very specific and unalterable egress requirements. Being aware of them prevents surprises.

    Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 4:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

Wow. Take THAT, Oakland! :P

    Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 8:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think you're going to find the cost to be more in line withTrebruchet's quote. Work will include framing materials, drywall, insulation, probably some electrical work, plus the stucco. I think the stucco will end up being the most expensive, especially in labor.

    Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 7:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'll stand by my estimate, in fact, I'd drive from OC to Oakland to do the job, except, that would be against my

    Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 8:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The 2009 IRC allows sliding doors to count for light and ventilation and artificial light may be substituted. Your code may be different.

R303.1 Habitable rooms. All habitable rooms shall have an aggregate glazing area of not less than 8 percent of the floor area of such rooms. Natural ventilation shall be through windows, doors, louvers or other approved openings to the outdoor air. Such openings shall be provided with ready access or shall otherwise be readily controllable by the building occupants.

The minimum openable area to the outdoors shall be 4 percent of the floor area being ventilated.


1. The glazed areas need not be openable where the opening is not required by Section R310 and an approved mechanical ventilation system capable of producing 0.35 air change per hour in the room is installed or a whole-house mechanical ventilation system is installed capable of supplying outdoor ventilation air of 15 cubic feet per minute (cfm) (78 L/s) per occupant computed on the basis of two occupants for the first bedroom and one occupant for each additional bedroom.
2. The glazed areas need not be installed in rooms where Exception 1 above is satisfied and artificial light is provided capable of producing an average illumination of 6 footcandles (65 lux) over the area of the room at a height of 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor level.

    Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 10:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I would just curtain it with insulating curtains and treat it like a wall/

    Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 12:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

DIY or contractor?

Here is a link that might be useful: Blogger

    Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 3:06PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Matching cabinet door/drawer profiles
I hired a contractor back in February of last year...
4" or 5" rounded newell posts--where to order?
Is there such a thing as a 4" or 5" round...
Help with exterior remodel!
Help! I want to remodel the exterior of my house. ...
Jeff Holmes
Kitchen cabinet rankings- middle of the line
We are redoing my kitchen. It is 11x13. I saw a ranking...
Jessica Galvin
need help designing shed dormers
we bought an 1864 post and beam house and want to add...
Sponsored Products
Glimmer Side Table in Cream - Set of 2
| Dot & Bo
Arteriors Home - Grazia Side Table - 4354
Great Furniture Deal
One of a Kind Red/Navy Blue 12x15 Heriz Serapi Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H7049
BH Sun Inc
Hand Knotted 8'x10' Striped Peshawar Gabbeh 100% Wool Oriental Rug Sh17502
1800 Get A Rug
Afina Signature Collection Double Door 24W x 30H in. Surface Mount Medicine Cabi
$916.99 | Hayneedle
'Dear Grandma, From You to Me' Keepsake Memory Book
$11.99 | zulily
Allure Polished Chrome Six Light Semi-Flush
$450.00 | Bellacor
Chrome Concealed Thermostatic Twin Shower Faucet & Diverter 2 Outlets
Hudson Reed
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™