Change the door between the house and the garage?

mdjonesMay 15, 2007

We've got a pine interior door going from the kitchen into the garage. Would it do any good to change this door into a steel insulated exterior door?

If so, can I just remove the screws from the old door hinges and hang the new one (of the same size) in the existing jamb? Or do I have to get a pre-hung door?

Thanks...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sraraujo

I think it would depend on whether or not your garage is heated? If it is, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. Do you feel cold coming through or around it in the winter months?

Also, I think a pre-hung might be easier unless the hinges line up perfectly or the sizes are the same it will probably be harder to retro-fit a new door to an old jamb than just replacing the whole thing. Also, you might not get the best seal around the door. Just my thoughts though...

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 2:37PM
remodeler_matt

If you buy a new door that is the exact size of the old one it's fairly easy to install new hinges on it to line up with the old hinges still on the door jam. But make sure the opening is square and level. If not, it probably would be easier to rip out the old jam and casing and replace with a pre-hung door.

I definitely would prefer a metal insulated door between garage and house. In addition to energy efficiency it also offers greater fire protection.

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 4:08PM
jkom51

Depending on local codes you may be required during a remodel to put in a metal door for fire protection - we were!

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 12:20PM
texasredhead

The door jam is either fabricated for the present door or it came prehung as a unit. It is highly unlikely that a new steel door will line up with the existing hinges on the present door jam and most often steel doors come prehung on a metal frame. You can purchase wood doors and mortice them to match existing hinges on the wood frame. You can't do that with a metal door. Also, the metal door will more than likely be thicker than the pine door so it probably won't fit the frame regardless.

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 12:07PM
sue36

We were required to have a fire rated door. 20 minutes, I believe. It did not have to be steel. We were also required to have self closing hinges.

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 12:31AM
kitchenkelly

Same as sue36, here. I had to have a fire rated door. One problem I had with my door was that it was too low (and it was ugly.) My contractor raised the door about an inch and now I can have a thicker rug on the house-side. Before when you opened the door, the rug was pushed out and got stuck underneath because the clearance was bad. It is those little things that make a remodel worth it.

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 8:11AM
More Discussions
Structural Engineer - What do I need to Know?
I'm planning a kitchen gut/remodel in my three-story,...
Carrie B
Home Remodeling, who to hire, what are the steps
I will be closing on a new house that requires some...
hellokitty_kt
Kitchen cabinet rankings- middle of the line
We are redoing my kitchen. It is 11x13. I saw a ranking...
Jessica Galvin
Popcorn Ceiling Removal...Is it worth it?
I have read many of the posts regarding Popcorn Ceilings...
cudjoegal
bookshelves around a fireplace with a vaulted ceiling
I am looking for help regarding design ideas for adding...
montanabo
Sponsored Products
Trademark Global Billiard Lights NHL Detroit Redwings 3-Light Stained Glass
Home Depot
SentrySafe G2510 Insulated 2 Drawer Legal Vertical Filing Cabinet - 25 Inch - 2G
Hayneedle
CAL Lighting 1.38 in. Polished Brass Metal Cast Lamp Finial FA-5052C
$6.60 | Home Depot
Brown Jordan Cushions Greystone Denim Replacement Outdoor Chaise Cushion blue
Home Depot
Lithonia Lighting Recessed Lighting 6 in. Recessed White LED Baffle Downlight
$34.97 | Home Depot
BluWorld Nojoqui Falls Indoor/Outdoor Wall Fountain - Medium - WWMVS-CP
$636.00 | Hayneedle
angelo:HOME Bleeker Park Table Lamp - Orange - 8569-TL
$60.00 | Hayneedle
Havana Four-poster Bed