Anyone have marble on perimeter and soapstone on island? Pics?

lafaciaApril 21, 2013

My budget is not keeping up with my big plans. I could do soapstone on the perimeter and marble on the island to save money (instead of all marble) but I really like a white farm sink surrounded by marble. Seems like a soapstone top on my island might be a good alternative.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeri

My plan is the opposite - Soapstone on the perimeter and Marble on the island. I expect my perimeters to take more abuse (cooking & cleaning) and I want my island to be the star. I think a white farm sink is going to look awesome surrounded by the black with white veining of the Soapstone⦠:-)

Lafacia - I know this is not what you asked for, but since you have not received any responses yet and our plans are similar, I thought I would share.

Jeri

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 10:53PM
lafacia

True - that will look great and it does seem to be the more popular option. I'm having a hard time switching gears and deciding to change up my vision. I was thinking soapstone on island was like having white cabinets, marble and a walnut top on the island. Same kind of contrast. Well, hoping to see some photos or get some feedback.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:37AM
hsw_sc

I have that setup and did it for reasons of practicality. We prep everything on our island and I figured that the soapstone could handle the stress and the mess (it totally does!).

These were taken about 4 hours after our counters were installed (a couple of years ago), so still very messy, unorganized, not put together and grainy:

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 8:01AM
lafacia

Thank you so much! Helpful! Island is white too? I thought I was going to stain it but if I do the soapstone I may not. I also found this photo online.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 8:37AM
breezygirl

I thought I remembered a couple of kitchens with that configuration, but I can only find Imfletcher's stunner, which I remembered incorrectly. She has marble perimeters, walnut island, and soapstone on a couple of other spots.

I'll keep trying to remember who else had this combo.

P.S. In my area, SS was almost as expensive as my 4cm Carrara perimeter so there was no savings there for me when I was considering island tops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Imfletcher's marble, walnut, and SS.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 11:06AM
lafacia

Thank you. Such a pretty kitchen! I'm actually looking for marble with some butterscotch/brown in it so that rules out carerra and puts me in the price range of danby and the various calacattas. Ouch! I'm trying to re imagine my dream kitchen. That's why I need the visuals! : )

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:38PM
muskokascp

I have white macabus on the perimeter (which I think you could imagine is marble) and soapstone on the island .I wanted the soapstone on the island because that is where we do most of our prep plus all the teenagers hang out there. To be honest, either stone would hold up to the abuse of the prepping and the kids but I wanted more white in my kitchen than dark.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
Baker Cherry Shaker doors vs IKEA Laxarby doors
Please advise on Baker doors. I am going to get IKEA...
enduring
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
My two tone kitchen reveal sans backsplash
My kitchen is finally finished! Well, except for the...
fishymom
Week 44: Spring, spring, SPring, SPRING dreams!
I am having spring fever. I can't wait until it's...
CEFreeman_GW
Sponsored Products
Nan 'Island Blossom I and II' 2-piece Canvas Art Set
Overstock.com
Thermocast Kitchen Wyndham Drop-in Acrylic 33x22x9.25 2-Hole Double Bowl
Home Depot
Original FUF Chair 3 ft. Comfort Suede Bean Bag Lounger - 0030176
$68.99 | Hayneedle
Sample-Pencil Wooden Beige Honed Marble Tile Liner Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
2 Seater Sunbrella Cushion
Fifthroom.com