1st floor bath

stoveguyyMay 10, 2012

Have 1-1/2 story house. 30x30 ft. Put on dormer yrs ago with 3 bedrooms and bath. 1st lvl had 2 bedrooms but we turned 1 into dining room and 2nd is office. We have full bath on 1st floor which is awkward since we sleep upstairs. 1st floor bath needs remodel. It's tired. Would it be a bad idea to tear out tub and make it a 1/2 bath? I am not sure of next owners wishes. It's a smallish house for 4 bedrooms.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill102

I am about to remove the downstair full bath and replace it with two half baths in different locations. One is under the main stairs and near the living room, The other half bath is near the back entry. Why have the kids tracking through the house just to pee.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 2:29PM
kirkhall

I think it would be a bad idea. Even if someone else moved in and only used the office as a guest bedroom, the ability to bathe would be important for that bathroom.

Also, should you end up with a temporary disability, you will also value that bath. I injured my back a couple years ago (at the ripe age of 29). I wasn't walking up the stairs to do anything, let alone bathe.

Full disclosure: I also have a 1 1/2 story house. It will have 3 bedrooms up and 2 baths up when we finish our addition. We are keeping our full bath downstairs.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 5:36PM
stoveguyy

Do u have bedroom on 1st floor? We have very nice sunroom off of dining room with sliding door so dining room is never going away. Home office has closet so it easily could be bedroom again.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
Designer vs contractor
Hi all, New to the forum here. Purchsed a 1960's bungalow...
houseofmagnolia
Just on observation
Just observing these forums I see the word "cheap"...
Precision Carpentry
4" or 5" rounded newell posts--where to order?
Is there such a thing as a 4" or 5" round...
bisondaktelcom
adding a room, relocating stairs, relocating kitchen
My husband and I are planning on adding a one story...
soapstoneshel
Small bath remodel - problem tub size
I could use some advice. We decided it is high time...
thomis
Sponsored Products
Driscoll Satin Bronze One Light Bathroom Wall Sconce with Etched Glass Painted W
$71.80 | Bellacor
Possini Euro Columbus Avenue 31 1/2" Wide Bronze Bath Light
Euro Style Lighting
Jewelry Tree - Small - Menu A/S
$59.95 | HORNE
Home Decorators Area Rug: Promanade Brown 2' 3" x 3' 9"
$79.00 | Home Depot
Square Frosted Tempered Glass Bathroom Shelf
TheBathOutlet
Couristan 1522-0712 Recife Natural Indoor/Outdoor Rug Multicolor - 1522071207607
$49.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™