How to reinforce floor for cast iron bathtub?

yadax3May 16, 2007

Hi,

I'd like to replace the acrylic alcove tub in our hall bathroom with a nice cast iron tub but I don't know if the floor can withstand the weight.

We live in a typical single-story ranch built in 1993. We have plywood subfloors with a (dirt bottom) crawl-space underneath. I don't know the size/spacing of the floor joists without crawling under the house but I'm sure their pretty standard.

Since we plan to DIY our bathroom remodel, I'd rather not have to hire an engineer to tell me if my floor is strong enough to support a >350 lb. tub filled with water.

Should we play it safe and reinforce the floor? If so, what is the best method?

Thank you in advance for your expert advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remodeler_matt

Assuming the framing underneath has not rotted or been cut up by a knuckle-dragging plumber, any house built to code in 1993 will have more than enough strength for any tub on the market. The weight of the water in in it is much more than the tub itself. I wouldn't worry at all about it.

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 4:37PM
yadax3

Good news. Thanks Matt!

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 5:50PM
texasredhead

You are describing a pier and beam foundation. If the floor joists are at least 2 X 10 on 16" to 24" centers with a 3/4" thick sub floor you should have no problems. You should be able to check the floor joist situation without crawling around under the house. Water weighs 8 lbs per gallon so 20 gallons in a tub would weigh 160 lbs. The tub will weigh around 500 lbs.

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 9:07AM
mahatmacat1

matt, piggybacking here: do you know anything about code for *second floors* in 1978? I'm thinking I have to rule out a cast iron tub on the second floor, but if by chance we could use one, I'd much prefer to.

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 12:00PM
remodeler_matt

flyleft: same advice applies -- as long as the framing below was done to code and has not been compromised by rot or brain-dead plumbers, you should be fine. A simple test is to put a bucket of water on the floor and jump up and down around it. If you get significant movement in the water, it may need to be stiffened.

Remember that just two or three good-sized people (say 200 lb. apiece) are going to put far more load per square inch than any tub.

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 1:26PM
mahatmacat1

matt, thanks so much. Seems rather intuitive, doesn't it? Oh well, I'm thankful you were kind enough to write it out.

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
1960 Ranch Remodel
We recently moved into a 1960 ranch home in Vestavia...
Red Mountain Media
Build an Addition, Move, or Stick it out?
We live in a land-locked area with high real estate prices....
neverlandpirate
Remodel for your taste vs possible sale
We plan to be in our house for 4-5 more years. It's...
thbennet
Help! Ceilings are dipping!
I don't know if this is just an unusual series of events...
andrelaplume2
when and how to cut contractor loose?
We have been living a bathroom nightmare! All started...
BathroomBlues
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™