Sea Salt color match

lauracrawford28June 15, 2014

Has anyone had SW Sea Salt color matched by another company? My painter only uses Pittsburgh paint. I have been reading that Sea Salt doesn't color match well. I know color matching isn't completely accurate but have never had it to be way off before. If not, does anyone know of a Pittsburgh color that is similar. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jadie88

Hmm, we got it in Valspar last year, and it turned out very nicely. We left the SW test patch up for a while to see how close the color match was, and it was quite accurate. The only difference I noted was that in artificial light (night time), the Valspar color looked just a touch more green than the SW. I just love the color.

Is it common for painters to only work with one company? (I've only ever DIYed paint jobs, so this is a question from sheer ignorance...)

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 2:42PM
forboystoo

Check PPG Gale force.
Yes painters will choose paint they are familiar with.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ppgpittsburghpaints.com/color/paint-colors/gale-force-atc-59

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 2:49PM
lauracrawford28

Thanks for your responses. I may get a sample size color matched before I go all the way with it! I think Gale force may be a bit bluer. I love that Sea salt has the gray/green/blue depending on the light.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 3:33PM
forboystoo

Get a sample of .....
Bay of Fundy
Falling star
White Clover

Along with a color matched Sea Salt

Throw them all up and see how you feel in a day or two..

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 5:39PM
Annie Deighnaugh

PPG Bay of Fundy would be closest, unless the paint store will try to color match it even closer.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 5:59PM
browneyes776

I've just had a color nightmare trying to match a BM color to SW. Then went and just bought it at BM and it doesn't match either. Have made 4 trips to 2 paint store and need to go again. I put up a sample or BM paint and because I bought it in Aura it's not even the same pigments. I feel a bait and switch and I'm pretty annoyed about it. Anyway, possibly pre commiserating with you?
In the future I don't think I'll try to go with any color matching. I'm particular and it's too much of a headache. Just my recent $.02.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 2:40PM
lauracrawford28

Thanks for your 2 cents:) I am certain that I am putting way to much time and effort into selecting paint. I am having a house built which is taking ridiculously long time!! During this period of hurry up and wait, I am stressing completely over the paint. My furnishings will be all new and I will probably wait to furnish it until after it's built and see what my fund situation is! So therefore, I can't paint as to what my furniture will be. Ugh!!! I wish my painter would use SW but unfortunately that will be added cost because he has a contract with the local Pittsburgh paint dealer. And to make matters worse, I am reading on here about north facing rooms and lack of light so now my paint colors may have to change again. Who knew home decorating could make a person go crazy!!! (sorry for the rant!) Oh, and my husband may kill me if I go get any more samples mixed:/

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 2:47PM
stephf

I had Sea Salt color matched to the Behr paint + primer brand about 2 years ago, and it matched the paint chip exactly.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 3:18PM
flymom65

I thought I loved the color, too. I painted a windowless half bath and a windowless jack & jill bath in it (from SW). One looks more blue and the other green. Artificial light makes it look greener while fluorescent light makes it appear a beautiful bluish tint. Depending on the lighting and the time of day, I either love it or hate it. The green reminds me of a hospital green, Ugh.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 5:23PM
osugirl

I'm in the process of choosing a bedroom paint color and somehow ended up with a sample of Sea Salt from SW and one color matched from Lowe's. They look identical. Hopefully your PPG sample will match up!

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 10:03PM
lauracrawford28

Thanks so much for your responses! Love your photo stephf!! I think I am going to just go get a sample size colormatched and stop stressing. I probably should just pick one plain neutral and do the whole house in it. That way I won't have to be freaking out over the 3 colors that I am allowed by the builder to choose! Also, I love to see rooms already painted before I pick the color but finding rooms online painted in different PPG paints are quite few and far between:(

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 8:33AM
lauracrawford28

I am oh so excited! I just found out that the company my painter uses also carries Glidden. I found a color that is so close to SW Sea Salt, called Gentle Tide. The color has been discontinued but can still be mixed. I can't wait to get a sample mixed up!

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
where to buy a high quality leather recliner
We need to replace our queen ann, high leg recliner....
Lynn Owens
need help with deciding how far to extend built-in bookshelf
Hello - We are in the process of designing a built-in...
eastvillgal
I need help deciding what color to paint my sofa frame
I am re-upholstering a vintage french couch, with the...
lizzierobin
Paint Ceiling Trim/crown color or wall color?
I'm getting ready to repaint my LR/DR kitchen area....
CaroleOH
F&B to BM color closest matches
If F&B is not near you but BM is....
the_foxes_pad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™