Shutters that Wing-Out

PinesEverywhereMay 17, 2013

Hey remodelers --

I am debating whether to keep these shutters or not. They have problems which I am prepared to fix (need painting, left hinge is bent, hinges are way too small for the weight, the closing magnet casings are cracked, and the mounting surround is slightly split on the bottom - Left Side Only).

Can anyone suggest a hinging system or fastening system that will promote proper folding so the shutters will stay flat when open (accordion style). I cannot find one web-site or article to help.

Each shutter is 54.5" x 19"

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
erinsean

Can you fix the hinges in the center so that the shutters fold back instead of front. That way when the shutters are open, you will see only one shutter (with the other folded behind it.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 1:44PM
geoffrey_b

Shutters are a premium window covering - they aren't cheap. Check out the stores in your area that sell blinds. I'm sure you can find someone to fix the hinges, etc.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 2:01PM
PinesEverywhere

Grandma -- good idea, I just may incorporate that as I want to hang some art on those side walls. However, I do like them totally open for the view too.

Geoffrey -- good suggestion BUT premium window covering shops are far and few these days. But that is what I need is an expert on Hinges and Hanging. I could handle the re-install but I don't know what hardware EXACTLY to purchase.

I did find these: Shutter Dogs -- They hold shutters open. I would just have to find a nail/post/mounting spike that was long enough for three panels. Not to mention a beam to drill into. LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shutter Dogs -- Who knew?

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 2:28PM
geoffrey_b

@pinesEverywhere - any window covering store that sells Hunter Douglas will probably have someone who installs / hangs shutters. Just look under biinds in the yellow pages.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 4:41PM
sombreuil_mongrel

Hi,
You could use magnets to get the shutters to stick to each other and to a screw-in doorstop (or suchlike) sticking out of the wall.
Tiny 1/4" dia rare earth magnets are amazingly powerful, epoxy them into a 1/4" shallow hole. Make sure the polarity matches so they attract each other instead of repel.
Casey

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 5:28PM
PinesEverywhere

Geoffrey -- excellent suggestion, I'll let my fingers do the walking. That is what I need is an "Installer" for the Hinging and to look at this surround in the window sill.

Sombreuil -- another excellent tip. Good thinking! The magnets for closing need replacing and I could easily use them for opening too if I place them strategically. I've got to noodle on this more -- thanks so much.

To Everyone -- the Help is greatly appreciated -- this doesn't seem impossible to fix. I'm "almost" excited about painting these now!

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 4:46AM
nancyinmich

If Lee Valley does not have the hardware you need, I'll be very surprised.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware/Index.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valey Hardware

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 2:38AM
More Discussions
Insulating exterior walls with rigid foam
We live in Silicon Valley, where the climate is moderate....
ylmzm
Small bath remodel - problem tub size
I could use some advice. We decided it is high time...
thomis
Pocket door questions
I am considering a butler's pantry/scullery addition...
rockybird
Designer vs contractor
Hi all, New to the forum here. Purchsed a 1960's bungalow...
houseofmagnolia
Questions about attic & insulation
1980's era house. Blown in FG insulation which at this...
lucas_tx_gw
Sponsored Products
Sterling Industries 137-013 Kirk-Mirror w/ Shutters & Mirrored Arch
Beyond Stores
Shutter Speed Cabinet
$275.99 | Dot & Bo
Blindsgalore Signature 4 1/2-inch Plantation Wood Shutters
Blindsgalore
2 1/2" Double Beveled Composite Faux Wood Blinds. Free Samples and Shipping!
$70.00 | Blinds.com
American Drew Grand Isle 5 pc. Round Dining Table Set - ADL4260
Hayneedle
British Colonial Outdoor Chaise Lounge with Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Jacquette Dummy Strap Hinge - Black Powder Coat
Signature Hardware
Olde Tyme Chapel Bird House - Crackle White
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™