Wheat Paste

betsyhacJune 18, 2012

I bought some vintage wallpaper, and it was suggested that I use wheat paste. I was going to hire someone to install the paper for me, but she's very against wheat paste. I don't really know why wheat paste is good or bad. Can anyone help me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
betsyhac

I've found the answer to my own question. I talked to Charlene at Rosie's and she said that she recommends wheat paste bc that was what was recommended by the manufacturer of the paper.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 3:09PM
graywings123

Wheat paste is flour and water, isn't it? I would use a commercial paste product for the paper.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 8:18AM
betsyhac

Well, here's the def from Wikipedia: Wheatpaste (also known as potato paste, flour paste, rice paste, Marxist glue, or simply paste) is a liquid adhesive made from vegetable starch and water. It has been used since ancient times for various arts and crafts such as book binding, decoupage, collage, and papier-m�ch�. It is also made for the purpose of adhering paper posters to walls and other surfaces (often in graffiti). Closely resembling wallpaper paste, it is often made by mixing roughly equal portions of flour and water and heating it until it thickens, or by smearing cooked rice into a paste.

Why would you use commercial paste instead?

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 10:15AM
lindac

I use a commercial paste called "cellulose paste"...pretty much what wheat paste is...but the commercial stuff mixes smoother and easier without lumps, dries clear in case you mess up.....and costs more!
Linda C

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 4:53PM
graywings123

Hanging wallpaper well is hard enough without adding in a cooking project where you are hoping to get it the right consistency and hoping it doesn't dry out along the way. I imagine - but don't know - that prepared wallpaper paste contains products to resist mildew.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 5:03PM
terriks

Also, isn't there an issue with bugs liking to eat wheat paste?

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 5:06PM
betsyhac

Actually, graywings, I think it's already been cooked when you buy the powder, but lumpiness is an issue and, as you say, it's difficult enough. The mildew is an issue that I'm VERY concerned about.

terriks, I hadn't even thought of that! Really good point. Someone once recommended a wheat cat litter to me and it was horrible - a mess of bugs.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Carriage House garage door with clay siding.
Hubby is finally ready to replace the garage and walk...
lodalady
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
I need help deciding what color to paint my sofa frame
I am re-upholstering a vintage french couch, with the...
lizzierobin
Paint Ceiling Trim/crown color or wall color?
I'm getting ready to repaint my LR/DR kitchen area....
CaroleOH
Baseboards and door molding
my baseboards are dark-stained wood to match wood floors,...
valmooreinphx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™