Question about Fusible Interfacing

OliviolaOctober 21, 2012

I posted a question at the end of september about a quilter messing up my quilt. Some of you advised me to use lightweight fusible interfacing to connect the batting to an added piece. My question: Is it necessary to have the two pieces perfectly abutted OR would it be ok to overlap the batting just a bit. I haven't started to try to cut it yet and it may not be as hard as it seems in my mind. I just know that y'all said you do it all the time. So, just how complicated am I making it? I know I'm slow AND my daughter's baby was due yesterday and my quilt is not finished. It's ok though. She understands. I still plan on posting a picture. It sure has been a lot more work than it would have been if the quilter had done it right. Thanks to all.

OV

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toolgranny

If it overlaps, you will have a lump. It should lay as flat and smooth as possible as if it were one solid piece. Otherwise you would feel a bulkiness there.

I often overlap the two pieces and then cut through both pieces where overlapped with a rotary cutter, removing the extra and what is left is cut to fit together as if one piece. Does that make sense?

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 8:45AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Good explanation, TG.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 9:07AM
magothyrivergirl

I agree with toolgranny. If you have ever hung wallpaper-the method of cutting is the same, overlapping one piece over the other and cutting a small amt from each at the same time so they will join to make a perfect line.
Draw some registration marks across the 2 pieces so you can match them.
Hope Baby arrives soon!

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 9:09AM
Oliviola

Thank you all so much. I thought the solution might be something like that. I have to apologize for taking this long to answer and may need to post this in a new thread. I was busy all day sunday having a grandbaby. She is beautiful and I have never seen two happier parents. My daughter went through a lot of labor pain and took it all without any pain killer. They had been up all night saturday night and the baby wasn't born until about 2:45 a.m. monday morning. Her boyfriend was with her all the way. We are wanting to go back(1 3/4 hour drive) tonight after coming home and getting some rest. Anyway, I want to thank everyone who responded. TG, that does make sense.

OV

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 7:25PM
magothyrivergirl

Congrats to your family!! :)

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 8:14PM
lindaoh_gw

Congrats on the new baby!
Linda OH

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 6:38PM
toolgranny

Congratulations Grandma.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 6:59PM
More Discussions
2015 Lotto Blocks
Finished Feb. Lotto block and want to get started on...
ibquiltn4fun
Trying to locate quilt pattern
I know it's been awhile since posting and I'm not sure...
Vanislegirl88
2010 Birthday blocks together.
Haven't posted much lately as I had pneumonia from...
nanajayne
January, 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Here we are in 2015......Black-eyes, collards and cornbread...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
What should I do with these?
I picked up this jelly roll of Kaffe Fassett fabrics...
Fran Sajewicz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™