House Addition - Where Do I Even Start?

suziequeApril 25, 2010

Hi - I would like to put an addition on my tiny antique house. i don't even know how to start. Do I first talk to an architect? An engineer? I certainly want someone who understands old houses and can help to make something not "stick out like a sore thumb".

But most of all, I don't even know where to start with all of this. Who do I contact first and how do I find them?

Thank you - for anything you can tell this "addition newbie".

Suzieque

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Start with a real estate agent. Ask whether or not dropping a couple of hundred thousand on your existing home would be recouped or if you're planning something "above the neighborhood" or whether or not it'd be better to sell and take those thousands and put towards a home that is larger and more suited to your lifestyle from the beginning.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 9:23PM
suzieque

Thanks. I appreciate your response. My house is "below the neighborhood", so I'd be building "up". Now ... my house is fine. It's antique and small. Most of the others in the neighborhood are newer (1980's to 2000) and much larger. Of course, it still may be better to sell and buy, but I just wanted to make sure it's clear that most homes in the neighborhood are worth more $$ now.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 9:45PM
HandyMac

The agent can tell you if it would be worth doing, but the codes office will tell you if it is possible and how much room(and where) there is for an addition. Property setbacks and utility/city right of ways limit expansion in many cases.

The current foundation may not be sufficient for a second story and the surrounding ground may limit the types of new foundations possible. An engineer should have that information.

And finally, an architect and their blueprints will often be necessary for the permits. Some contracting companies may have all or some of those folks.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 11:38PM
More Discussions
Home Remodeling, who to hire, what are the steps
I will be closing on a new house that requires some...
hellokitty_kt
Insulating exterior walls with rigid foam
We live in Silicon Valley, where the climate is moderate....
ylmzm
? remove wood siding b4 replacing with vinyl
I plan on having my 1950 split level resided in the...
abbey_cny
I want to use LVT for the wall...
I want to use LVT to replace the worn wallpaper for...
sandra2288
bookshelves around a fireplace with a vaulted ceiling
I am looking for help regarding design ideas for adding...
montanabo
Sponsored Products
Tech Lighting | Crescendo Chandelier
YLighting
Ardmore 17 1/2" High Black Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Capital Lighting Hill House Transitional Mini Pendant
1800Lighting
Queen Dust Skirt
$675.00 | Horchow
Varaluz | Occasion 1 Light Wall Sconce
$279.00 | YLighting