professional help

Mom2SFApril 17, 2013

We want to add a 20x20 family room, detached 1.5 car (second) garage, swimming pool, and flat lawn area to the back of our home.

What type of professional can draw up this type of âÂÂmaster planâ for us? We have less than ý acre lot so itâÂÂs imperative that we have a cohesive plan. We want someone who has the BIG PICTURE in mind but will still focus on details (i.e. grading, sun exposure, functionality).

For example, the garage will require a floor plan because it will be multi-purpose (storage, workshop, and pool house) and need a covered patio on the side to serve as our outdoor living space (grill, patio table, etc.).

The pool can't just big stuck in the ground either. We want it to be integrated with the way we live (close to our home) and not just a random thought.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sophie Wheeler

You need the services of a full service architectural firm who either has an in house landscape architect or one that they consult with frequently.

    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

When choosing an architect, it's important to see examples of other work they have done. They tend to have a "style," like an artist has, so make sure their vision fits yours.


    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Suzi, architects are a lot like physicians and attornies, in that some are "specialists" and some are "generalists". The best tip may be to find architects who like and do the type/scale of work that the owner has in mind.

Residential remodel work is quite different than, say, hospitals or correctional facilities. Or for that matter, the custom design of new single family homes. Remodeling architecture takes a lot more attention and time for analyzing, measuring and taking into account existing conditions. Compared to design of new homes, remodeling is much more labor intensive for both architects and builders.

A good place to start is by contacting the closest office of The American Institute of Architects for referrals.

Good luck with your project.

    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 10:33PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Moving window vertically
Hello - we are purchasing a house and trying to think...
Dog Grooming/Bathing Station, show me your pictures, please
I really need to include a bathing/grooming area in...
Potential Contractor wants to have my SS Number ?
Good morning everyone! I'm in the process interviewing...
Marina Yashmanov
Having builder install base kitchen & then immediately remodeling?
I probably would've preferred to buy an old house to...
Melanie Campbell
Insulating exterior walls with rigid foam
We live in Silicon Valley, where the climate is moderate....
Sponsored Products
Portable Massage Table
$499.00 | FRONTGATE
Robo Reel Sprinkler
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Wall Control with Handset by Modern Fan Company
$60.00 | Lumens
Vegetable Measuring Cup Set
$12.99 | zulily
Deeco European Vineyard Chimney And Grill - DM-001-AA
$472.99 | Hayneedle
Jofran 342 Taylor Cherry 5 Piece Round Pedestal Dining Room Set
Beyond Stores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™