How would you re-do this kitchen?

bosegirlOctober 16, 2012

We want to keep it bright, but we'd like...

-granite or corian counterops

-Possibly adding more cabinets or extend out near the area behind eat-in part?

-Is it possible to make the counter with sink straight instead of bent how it is and then add an island?

-tile

-maybe white cabinets with a grey or beige paint on the wall? And bronze or nickel hardware?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bosegirl

One more pic

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 12:10PM
mpinto

Hi there. First of all, post this in the Kitchen Forum. You'll get a crazy amount of advice there. Second, you can probably straighten out the sink if you extend the counter behind it to a full corner, not a beveled one. Talk to a plumber. Everything else is just decor, which is a personal thing. Choose a counter first, since this is hardest to change. Decorate around that. Have fun!

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 12:40PM
weedyacres

Is this for resale or for living? If just for you, then the kitchen forum would get you more answers.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 12:41PM
ottawavalleygardener

There is a kitchen forum where you should also post. Are you planning to sell soon or is this your new home? Makes a difference in what to choose. To me this looks just fine if you're selling. For me, I like more rounded curves on a countertop, and I prefer "warm" colours over "cool" (white & grey = cool) but it's what YOU like, not what I like! :-)

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 12:42PM
bosegirl

It's for a house we're buying...I will check out the kitchen forum, thanks!

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 12:47PM
sylviatexas1

bosegirl, are you in Texas by any chance?

That kitchen looks exactly like the one I loved in a new home I sold several years ago!

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 1:04PM
bosegirl

haha, nope, in NY

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 1:30PM
jane__ny

I thought, for sure it was in Florida. Florida houses are filled with angled walls and kitchens. We wound up buying one thinking we could straighten out the walls in the kitchen. Has turned into a huge financial nightmare.

Not so easy or inexpensive to change.

Jane

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 9:01PM
mrspete

Adding more cabinets behind the table sounds do-able. Straightening out the bend does not.

I think the biggest thing this kitchen needs is COLOR. Whatever color palate you prefer, bring it in. I'd go with a colorful, busy backsplash, some bright curtains, maybe a colored rug under the table, and a chandalier that doesn't disappear in all the neutral. And some greenery (or crockery) above the cabinets to fill in some "up top" colors.

Really, this kitchen looks good -- it just needs to be accessorized.

After that, crown molding.

I'd be interested to know the size of your kitchen -- that is, the overall size of the cabinet area. It looks to be about the same size as the small kitchen I'm planning for our retirement house.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 6:02PM
cas66ragtop

You could definitely use more color, you could use some contrasting colors - everything is too much the same color. I've never been a big fan of white appliances - I like avocado green a lot better (joking), but it would be a shame to replace them if you're only doing it because of the color. I would also get rid of the ceiling fan and install a nicer lighting fixture. I've never been a big "fan" of ceiling fans in my food preparation/eating area. A built-in window seat with storage underneath would be nice. I like the idea of extending the cabinets. Crown molding would look nice. Really, its quite a nice kitchen the way it is - it just needs a little more of your own personal touches.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 3:11PM
dreamgarden

I like your kitchen. I'd paint the ceiling a brighter shade of white to make the room appear larger and put color on the backsplash. I might also do something with the counter where your sink is. Have you considered a Waterfall counter? I saw one on that program 'Property Brothers' on HGTV. If you redo that, you could include an eating area with stools so folks could help you prepare food on both sides!

Perhaps you could put something (nice painting?) on the wall to the left of your fridge.

A link that might be useful:

www.houzz.com/ideabooks/152316/list/Kitchen-Design--8-Ways-with-Waterfall-Counters

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 9:35PM
bosegirl

Thanks for the great ideas so far! Lots to do when we move in!

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 10:02PM
northbound

If you have enough light coming through the bay window, think about painting the walls a fairly dark color that contrasts nicely with the cabinets and counters. You not only need some color, you need some details. Instead of extending the cabinets along the one wall, think about a freestanding hutch that would compliment whatever table and chair set, light fixture, and rug you put in. Consider not doing anything structural right away. Get the furniture in and a few things on the walls and counters first. I find that the better ideas come to me over time. And remember that rooms can take on a very different look at night.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 11:26AM
cmarlin20

I like your thought of painting the cabinets, they appear dull. I would paint them before doing more. Then look at the walls, and a nice window finish.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 4:06PM
More Discussions
What would you do? Stay or Remodel?
We just bought a new house. It's somewhat of a starter...
annaw_123
Best time to List a House
Is there a best time to list a house for sale? We have...
hayden2
Do buyers prefer table & chairs or island in kitchen?
We are getting our house in order before listing it...
pinkpaula
something to check when buying a home (pets/carpet)
something i wish i'd checked out before purchasing...
kiki_redo
Would you buy a home near fire station??
We're considering an offer on a single-family home...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™