Wood type & finish for interior wood handrail

Jac29April 1, 2011

I am having a new railing made with wrought iron balusters in matte black and a wood handrail. The staircase treads are red oak with a natural polyurethane finish.

I'm not sure I want to use oak for the handrail.....what wood type would you recommend that has a nice consistent grain and may go well with natural red oak? I'm looking at mahogony or brazilian cherry as 2 possible options.....any advice?

Also, is it ok if I have a darker finish on the handrail (for a little contrast from the natural finish on the stair treads), or would it be best if the handrail is the same finish as the stairs?

Please feel free to post your railing pictures, especially if your wood handrail is a different finish than your stair treads.

Thank you all for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lesterd

I don't have a picture, but our floors are white oak with a clear finish. Our handrails are red oak, with a mahogany stain and amber shellac finish. The handrails are attached to the walls with black wrought iron brackets.

Our handrails match the baseboard molding in the staircase and throughout the house...all stained. We're very happy with how it looks.

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
question about getting a bid from contractors
We're getting ready to put an addition on our house...
sparkleblue75
Potential Contractor wants to have my SS Number ?
Good morning everyone! I'm in the process interviewing...
Marina Yashmanov
Dog Grooming/Bathing Station, show me your pictures, please
I really need to include a bathing/grooming area in...
thbennet
WCB QUESTION FOR CONTRACTORS
I live in BC, so I realize the answer may not be the...
houseofmagnolia
Question for contractors - after job is done (paying/thanking)
Hello. My bathroom remodel is wrapping up and I'll...
mrsshayne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™