Newbies need help understanding quality of roofing materials

58jhApril 10, 2011

We are roof replacement newbies who would like to understand roofing material range of quality so that we can compare the quality of what is being proposed by contractors, not just the cost. Would some of you who have the knowledge of roofing materials that we lack offer information to help us compare.(i.e. weight/gauge for underlayment and flashing, types of underlayment, gutters, ice and water shield). A few of the comments contractors have made have been...

- Alcoa gutters that are guaranteed for 20 years vs. "ones that will likely pit in several years"

- CertainTeed Roofs Select vs. 15 lb. felt paper underlayment

Also, when putting flashing on a porch roof where it meets the main exterior siding wall, is "step flashing" a preferable method?

If it matters, this is a home we will stay in for at least the next 10 years, so we are the ones who will have to live with what we choose.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

The heavier the shingle, the longer the life.

Some Codes don't even require underlayment and I've built that way with no problems. Proprietary underlayments are fine or you can use 30 lb. felt. Fifteen pound felt is useles.

Yes, proper flashings, including often omitted kick out flashings, are essential.

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Flashing Details

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Clueless - help me decide on floorplan!
I need help! We are renovating and adding on to a 1600...
essenay
"Green" Remodeling - where to start?
We would like to remodel using materials and processes...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Do I match exterior door/window hardware to interior?
We will have white interior doors with oil rubbed bronze...
happyallison
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89 x-post
x-posted in Windows forum We're getting ready to remodel...
lisa_a
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
isabelyw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™