Remodeling my livingroom & familyroom

sumsinApril 6, 2012

I have a wall between my familyroom and living room that are next to each other. This poses a problem when I have a big gathering. People all tend to go to the family room where I have the TV. And the living room just sits there by itself lonely. I am thinking to take the wall between down so it will make the whole area look bigger/airy and also allow people to spread out more between these two rooms. In this way I can get more use from the living room. Not sure if the wall is a "load bearing one"" or not. Will find out soon.

Just started talking to a few contractors. Can you tell me what kind of questions I should ask the contractors to make sure I get a good estimate and more importantly a good job. How much ($$) are we talking about approx for this job? Just making sure that I can afford the job on the ballpark.

Please share your expereince and advise. thnx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

I would consider making the opening between the two spaces wider instead of removing it altogether. If it is a structural wall only a larger header over the larger opening would be needed and possibly reinforcement below for the new posts that support the ends of the header.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 4:55PM
sumsin

Yes I measured the wall finally. Its 14'. so keeping 2' each side and a header would be good. Still I would get 10' opening which is nice.
Now that Im looking carefully, I need to move the vent return, wall cable jacks and other electric plug points from that wall to somewhere else.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 4:23PM
sumsin

Yes I measured the wall finally. Its 14'. so keeping 2' each side and a header would be good. Still I would get 10' opening which is nice.
Now that Im looking carefully, I need to move the vent return, wall cable jacks and other electric plug points from that wall to somewhere else.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 7:10PM
More Discussions
Moving window vertically
Hello - we are purchasing a house and trying to think...
bethanympuku
question about getting a bid from contractors
We're getting ready to put an addition on our house...
sparkleblue75
I need help with making a decision to paint golden oak wood or restain
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
Dog Grooming/Bathing Station, show me your pictures, please
I really need to include a bathing/grooming area in...
thbennet
Question for contractors - after job is done (paying/thanking)
Hello. My bathroom remodel is wrapping up and I'll...
mrsshayne
Sponsored Products
Small 'Cheese to My Macaroni' Box Sign
$16.99 | zulily
Surface Mount Tiles: Shanko Building Materials 303 Unfinished Steel 2 ft. x 4
$27.22 | Home Depot
Thumbprintz You are my Sunshine Indoor/ Outdoor Throw Pillow
Overstock.com
Backyard Discovery My Cedar Playhouse - 37013
$599.99 | Hayneedle
Leucos | SD 1002 Recessed Light
$225.00 | YLighting