Installing pocket doors.

graciebear10April 7, 2010

I'm thinking about installing a pocket door. I have no idea how to do that. Any suggestions? Is it difficult to do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

It takes reframing the area in which the pocket door operates. Which usually means tearing out sheetrock, wall studs, moving any electrical wiring/switches, reframing the pocket door frame, installing the door, replacing the sheetrock, priming, painting, and installing the trim.

If you can do all those things----piece of cake.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 5:22PM
brickeyee

They are a major framing task.

You can omit a large header in a partition wall, but a header twice the width of the door is needed in a weight bearing wall unless you have a wall thick enough to take both the door pocket and studs turned flat ('wet walls' with soil stacks often are thick enough for this trick, but then you need to avoid the stack).

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 4:51PM
jaansu

I was going to install a pocket door before I discovered waste pipes running through the wall that would be a major deal to reposition. Instead, I 'built' a new wall attached to the existing studs and left the proper area for the pocket door, then drywalled to enclose. Yes, I have an extra thick wall but most do not notice and I now have beautiful double pocket French doors opening to my library.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
extending roof with a patio cover and it's tight
I have a fifty year old Santa Fe style house (old style,...
JPT
How does a General Contractor work...do I need one ?
I am new to remodeling anything in my house. I have...
jeannette10
Removing brick and install what?
Just for the sake of discussion...if one was to remove...
mlo1
Learning to read plans and drawings
We are embarking on the design phase for a remodel...
Susan Taylor Brown
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
tmolly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™