qotd, how do you fmq embroidery?? (pic)

toolgrannySeptember 11, 2011

I've never quilted embroidered blocks like this redwork I'm just finishing up. I've quilted applique with no problem but now I have to figure out how to quilt over redwork embroidery.

Have any of you done this and what did you do? I worry a meandering through the embroidery will affect the stitching. Or, maybe just meander with invisible thread??

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
K8Orlando

This is just my opinion, but I don't think I would quilt over the images at all. Can you SITD around them, then maybe echo stitch very close to the outer-most red stitch line? Then just tack the center?

I would save the meander or other FM quilting for the border and sashing.

Kate

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 8:24AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Good grief, Linda, your redwork makes mine look like preschool drawings and you're worried about quilting it? Ok, now that I have that out of my system, I agree with Kate....echo quilt where you can. Nice work!!!!

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 8:56AM
lafonda_ranch

I have no clue! But I love the redwork! Did you do that??? Very nice :-)

Robbi

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 8:56AM
grammyp

Nice work! I think I would stitch around the frames in each panel. I haven't done much quilting with hand embroidery, but do try not to quilt over it. I think it takes away from it.

beverly

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 9:14AM
rosajoe_gw

That is beautiful Linda!!!! I agree with all above. Since it is a wall hanging I would just SITD in the shashings around the redwork.
I have seen some quilting by adding embellishments to the stars, snowman etc. and it looks great.
BUT I love it the way it is and it will not be washed as much as a quilt will be.
Rosa

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 12:23PM
nanajayne

Beautiful!!
I am with Beverly, I would SID around the frames with invisable thread. I don't believe it would require heavy quilting and the frames would enhance the embroidery.MHO

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 1:14PM
K8Orlando

Oh yes!!! What Rosa said!!! Add a few clear or silver metallic seed beads to the stars, to the center of the spirals on the snowman, in the center of the flowers. Just a few tiny beads would sufficiently quilt the panels and add a little sparkle too!

Kate

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
What should I do with these?
I picked up this jelly roll of Kaffe Fassett fabrics...
Fran Sajewicz
How about a QOTD ????
What is your bestest, most favorite, the "I never...
beth7happy
2015 February Block Lotto
(posting this a bit early so you can get a head start...
toolgranny
Still having trouble separating my GW and H accounts
Just posting this to be sure it works after I confirmed....
quiltnhen
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™