Thoughts on the riser/backsplash on a pro-style range (like Wolf)

carriageApril 16, 2010

Hi! Ready to buy a 36" Wolf All Gas range. It will go on a wall that has exposed brick, with a big ole stainless steel hood (Kobe RA-02) above it. There is no backsplash (exposed brick is impossible to clean, literally). Trying to decide between the 10" riser, the 20" with shelf, and just getting a full panel of stainless steel to go from the range to the hood. Considering stainless counters, though, so the latter option seems like a bit too much steel, I'm afraid. And I worry that the 20" with a shelf will interfere with the hood. If anyone has pics of theirs (and of the three!), I would really appreciate seeing them! I promise to post pics when I'm done!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scottielee

the stainless steel backsplash looks fine
see 2nd photo from link to wolf's website

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.wolfappliance.com/DualFuelRanges/DF48DualFuelRange

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 5:52PM
motherof3

I just ordered the 36" Wolf rangetop with 20" riser with shelf and the Wolf pro wall hood. The wall hood is going to be 30" above the rangetop. After reading your post I was worried that the shelf would be too high for the vent, but here's a pic from the Wolf website.

http://www.wolfappliance.com/Ventilation/ProWallHood

(select the 4th pic)

I think there is enough room. I plan to put some decorative conntainers up there for easy access to salt and oil. I think that it would look really nice against the brick backsplash and not too much stainless if you have stainless counters. I think the 10" riser may not offer enough protection for the brick while cooking. Just my thoughts. I'm curious to see what others think.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 7:41PM
carriage

I'm only thinking it might be too much stainless if I do decide on stainless countertops. Actually, we are waiting for a sample of an "antique matte" stainless; don't know how that would look with all the other stainless in the kitchen.

As for the hood issue, I just don't see how a nine inch shelf could NOT interfere with the suction of the hood... I think I read too much in all the threads about what makes for the most efficient hood!

On the flip side, I just saw a 10" riser on ebay for $75 bucks. Don't know how much the 20" is, but maybe I should just try it, and if it doesn't work out, then I could go for one of the other options...

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 9:22PM
gizmonike

We have stainless behind our range, with stainless clad cabinets flanking it (to balance out the hood & flanking cooktops), stainless countertops, and stainless hoods:

To offset the stainless, we wood panelled some appliances, chose granite for the island, onyx tile for the backsplash, and stone over the upper cabinets. The range has "island trim" rather than a riser.

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 12:30AM
sombreuil_mongrel

Is Wolf one of the ranges that the oven actually vents through their backsplash? (It's hollow, IIRC) If so, you would need the "island trim" if using a plain, flat, stainless generic panel. Which is what you'd have to do if you were bringing a pot filler through it; not that you are...
Casey

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 6:01PM
motherof3

What is island trim?

gizmonike your kitchen is beautiful, very sleek.

carriage - My Wolf 20" riser wih shelf is about $500. Maybe give the $75 one a try, but it would bother me if all my stainless items didn't match...but I'm a matchy, match type person.

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 9:20PM
More Discussions
Your longest stretch of granite counter w/o seam?
Our counters will be re-templated later today. It...
tea4all
Need good granite fabricator in KS City area
Our contractor essentially uses 1 fabricator (4hrs...
tea4all
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Help! Are rift cut, slab cabinets always veneer?
We got a sample of our door color for our slab, rift...
frogster
WAC vs. Seagull vs. Kichler or what else - "best" LED UCL
can someone please help/advise i feel like a fish out...
lmgch
Sponsored Products
NCAA Tailgate Toss Cornhole Set Multicolor - 5CFB-D-BWLGR
$76.75 | Hayneedle
Large Glass Jewelry Box
$75.00 | Horchow
Wolf Posture Premier 8-inch Full-size Mattress
Overstock.com
Black Bedside Lamp: 14.25 in. Wolf Wolf/Grey/Black Touch Lamp K320
$32.12 | Home Depot
Wolf Embroidered Dish Towel - Set of Two
$12.99 | zulily