Sump Pit, no Pump or Inlet

bbeardbOctober 24, 2012

I had an inspection done on a house I'd like to buy, and the inspector was extremely worried about this one finding. There was a sump pit that had never been opened since built (1999, we had to chip up concrete to open it) and found about two inches of water. There was no pump or opening whatsoever in the pit. Given that there was no way for water to get in there, except maybe from the top although there is NO evidence of there ever being a basement flood, I'm assuming the water has been in there since new.

I've never had a sump pit. I don't know if this is a big deal. The next door neighbor does not have a pit. The neighbor across the street also has a pit but has no inlet or pump as well. I'm in Colorado if that helps.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

PS. I've been a Gardenweb lurker for years. If ever I needed any information on the internet and found an answer on Gardenweb, I was sure to read it. There's a great group of people here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

It was likely installed at construction and then not needed.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 12:28PM
ncrealestateguy

Almost always, water gets into a sump pit from the bottom up, not from the top. It is just groundwater. If it bothers you, put in a sump pump and exit the drain to the outside.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 1:43PM
weedyacres

The inspector is extremely worried at finding an unused sump pit? Or at finding some water in it? Neither of those is cause for concern in my book. Water can seep through concrete, it can condense, lots of non-scary reasons there'd be a small amount of water there. I wouldn't think twice about it.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
How soon is "too soon" to select a realtor?
Not planning to sell until about this time next year....
lori_inthenw_gw
Negative connotation of listing "As is"?
I'll try to put our situation as simply as possible: We...
pinkpaula
Happy story: my sis just bought her first house
Just thought I'd share a happy story! My sister's been...
robo (z6a)
Seller isn't signing the sale contract
Land has been on the market for 1.5 yrs and asking...
net42k
Seller not allowing final walk-through before closing
Hi, I am struggling with a strange situation in my...
musicgold
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™