My finished clothesline basket

jennifer_in_vaSeptember 4, 2011

In an earlier post I complained about tension when sewing with clothesline. Well, it all worked out (after awhile) and here's a photo of my project.

When I started 2 years ago with covering the clothesline with strips, it was supposed to be a totebag/purse. But now, I don't need something like that, so I changed it into a basket.

I'm very happy with how it turned out! As is my model.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magothyrivergirl

What a sweet model - perfect! Your basket and your model!

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 9:43PM
grammyp

Perfect use of the basket. I can't wait to see the two of you.

beverly

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 12:04AM
faytay

Jennifer, did you wrap the strips around the cord? I made a tote a few years back doing that but I discovered they make GREAT cat beds. (that is is the cats will get out of the half finished projects long enough to finish them). haha

Faye

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 8:17AM
toolgranny

Great basket. It would have made a great tote also. I'm glad you got the tension worked out. I want to try one someday.

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 9:11AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I think I prefer it as a basket as a tote seems like it would be pretty heavy. The Geezer and I are chuckling at your cutie....such a sweetie!

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 9:25AM
jennifer_in_va

THere are a couple of ways to do this I've found. This pattern called to have the jelly roll strips pressed in half, then the outer raw edges pressed to the center fold (so all edges are enclosed).

You then put the clothesline in the center down the fold and fold the fabric around the cord. Sew a straight stitch through it all down the length (125'). This was the MOST tedious part of the entire project. It's hard on arthritic hands.

Then you start working around making the base, then the sides using a zig-zag stitch. This wasn't too bad once I got the tension working right.

If anyone wishes, I'll have this at Retreat, along with a scrap of the cording and I can show you better.

Another way I've heard of doing it is to simply wrap the strip around the cord without any folding, leaving the raw edges showing. Kind if like the spiral on a candy cane. This wouldn't require the first step of sewing and could be wrapped and zig-zagged all at the same time. If I do another one, I'll try it that way.

I was thinking of trying it with 1" cording and making a rug for the kitchen...

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
2015 February Block Lotto
(posting this a bit early so you can get a head start...
toolgranny
Old/new names
So I (we) don't lose anyone, I think listing our forum...
jennifer_in_va
Another feature found
So, I found another feature that I thought you a) might...
jennifer_in_va
Trying to locate quilt pattern
I know it's been awhile since posting and I'm not sure...
Vanislegirl88
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™