How do I find an Amish builder in OH

lmrinc_gwApril 24, 2013

We are looking to do some massive renovations to the home we just bought. It's a very small cabin and we need to build on to the whole house. We are in Columbus OH and we've met with some arch's who keep boasting that they use amish builders. We are now thinking we don't need an architect, just a great builder but everyone around here is absurdly expensive!

I understand some won't travel too far. I'm just hoping I can get a hold of someone who can be fair and so excellent work...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Massive renovations needs an architect. Builders aren't qualified for design ideas nor to provide engineering. Especially if they aren't licensed contractors, as most Amish are not. You will need the architect also for the stamped drawings that you will need to provide in order to receive a building permit.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 4:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southerncanuck

I have worked with Mennonite builders, many times. I can say from experience that they do not have any better skills or habits any other "good quality" builders have.

It is almost racist to me when I hear about Amish builders. I wouldn't hire a brickmason because they were Italian or a jeweler because they were Jewish. I would hire them based on reputation and skills.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
What to do with fireplace/bookcase
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
Getting ready to remodel the second floor, where to start?
We are beginning to interview contractors. Would like...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Laying tile without cement board?
We pulled some tile up in several spaces. The tile...
nostalgicfarm
Do I match exterior door/window hardware to interior?
We will have white interior doors with oil rubbed bronze...
happyallison
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
isabelyw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™