Charity quilts 1-2-3

bev2009September 6, 2012

A friend and I are making quilts for a children's home in Africa. We have until Oct 1 to make nine and we started three weeks ago. I asked for fabric donations from FreeCycle and two ladies donated. The first lady gave over 10 yards of the green and about 5 yards of the animal print. She also gave sheets that were used in her parents campground in the 1960's. They are in great shape and very sturdy. We have no patterns, I just start cutting. So we started very simply and are "upgrading" as we go along. I've had a chance to try FMQ and am learning a lot about my new machine. These will win no awards, LOL, but I think the moms and kids will appreciate them.

Super quickie, had fun with decorative stitches

Used many scraps on this one.

Went crazy trying FMQ on this one. It's fun!

We have four more cut out...so more pictures to come.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quiltnhen

I sure they'll be well received. They look wonderful!

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 9:41PM
loisflan

What a wonderful project. I know they will be so welcome. A friend of mine just returned from a visit to her home country of Zambia. She collects clothing and sends it back to the poor in her village. There is a great need in much of Africa. Thank you for helping.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 12:13AM
littlehelen_gw

Wow...those are great and I'm sure will be much appreciated. Why only till Oct 1? If there was a little more time, I'd be happy to donate one.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 8:35AM
bev2009

Dr. Moussa returns to Burkina Faso Oct 1 and he will be taking them with him. But I talked to the U.S. director and she said they will be going in January and I can send more quilts then. It would be wonderful if you would like to donate a quilt by Jan. I'll send you an email.

Just a little more info...Burkina Faso is the third poorest country. Our children's home, Bethesda, has a healthy mom, dad and child and three moms with AIDS and their children. A couple of the kids have AIDS as well, but everyone gets the necessary drugs and is doing very well. However, if one of the mom's passes away, the children will be able to stay in the home and not have to go through the trauma of finding somewhere else to live. A couple of the ladies have little businesses they can do when they are well. One lady has a cart and collects firewood to sell. Another does some sewing. We are having a fundraiser square dance in October to raise money for a second home. (It is a riot to see all the adults who don't know how to square dance try to learn...including me.!) When you are working with a national, you are able to do the work much cheaper. Vendors don't gouge Dr. Moussa like they would an American. We built the first home for $30,000!!! Dr. Moussa also has schools he has started with 1500 children attending. I'm sorry, I could go on and on. Off to the sewing machine I go.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 8:58AM
bev2009

Littlehelen, I don't see an email for you. Can you send me one? Thanks

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 9:00AM
msmeow

Very nice, Bev, and what a worthwhile cause! It feels good, doesn't it?

I can't wait to see the rest of them. :)

Donna

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 9:33AM
littlehelen_gw

Bev: email message sent...thanks

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
Are you quilting this weekend? March 27-29
I stayed up late last night making a teapot block for...
lindaoh_gw
Heart Blocks
These blocks are made up of 3 1/2" squares of...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
I'm new here and sharing my quilts
Hello, I'm new to your forum, but not new to sewing....
craftylady
need help with big stitch quilting
Hi. I was sure that I had started a post about this...
day2day
QOTD - Re-posting others' pictures
Is there a rule, or convention, or prohibition against...
loisflan
Sponsored Products
Resort Quilted Bath Towel
$31.50 | FRONTGATE
Smart Garden Hammocks Nantucket 156 in. Quilted Cotton Reversible Double
$99.00 | Home Depot
Serena & Lily Lodge Quilt Euro Sham
Serena & Lily
Kartell | Foliage Sofa
YLighting
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Olivera
Home Depot