Rough Opening for a Pre-Hung Door

millerjoe49April 10, 2008

I have a rough opening of 33 1/2 inches for a doorway. Am I safe installing a 32 x 80 pre-hung solid door there? Articles I read talk about needing 34 inches for a 32 inch door. I'm wondering if that 1/4 inch on each side will make a difference.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

Yes, the 1/4" will make a huge difference if you need to do any shimming since few door openings are square!

I'd first measure the pre-hung frame to see what it's true width is. I installed a garage ext. door last summer and had more than enough space since the unit was narrower than the 33 1/2" they claimed it to be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 12:46PM
sierraeast

As a rule, your header size is 5" wider. When the jack/trimmer studs are in that lessens it by 3". On a 32" door, you would have a 34" r.o.. One thing that you can do is pull one of the jack or trimmer studs and replace it w/ a 3/4 " board. If you have 2x4 framing, replace it with a 1x4,(3/4" x 3-1/2"). If you have 2x6 framing, replace it w/ a 1x6,(3/4" x 5-1/2"). Leave the jack/trimmer stud on the side where the door has hinges as you will want to put longer screws in through the hinges into the jack/trimmer studding.

To save a little trouble, you might check in w/ the mfgr of the pre-hung, as some have a different r.o. spec'd out and 33-1/2" might be okay. The above is a standard.

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 12:47PM
millerjoe49

I measured the door with the jamb and it measures 33 inches. Like I said previously, I have 33 1/2 inches as a R.O. with a 2x4 as a jack stud. Leaving things the way they are, I'll have 1/4 inch open on each side. I have plenty of space on the top and bottom.

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 3:50PM
sierraeast

Sounds good. Just make sure you check each jack stud for plumb and that you have 33-1/2" all the way down. It's going to be a little tight for shimming but if the jack stud is plumb on the hinge side, run the hinge side jamb tight to that jack. You might have to shim a little to keep the jambs straight. If the opening is not plumb and you find a 1/4" each side is not enough, pull the jack opposite the hinge side and replace w/ a 1x4.That will give you more than enough wiggle room for shimming plumb and straight.

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
How does a General Contractor work...do I need one ?
I am new to remodeling anything in my house. I have...
jeannette10
Laying tile without cement board?
We pulled some tile up in several spaces. The tile...
nostalgicfarm
Shaker style question
What are y'all's opinions on Shaker style cabinetry....should...
janelor
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
Do I match exterior door/window hardware to interior?
We will have white interior doors with oil rubbed bronze...
happyallison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™