Insulating Shake Shingle Walls (No sheathing!)

Vosseller_CottageApril 11, 2011

Hi all,

Another insulation question, I couldn't quite find what I was looking for in previous threads. I have a 1920's shake-shingle cottage. Most of the house is shake over planked walls (lath and plaster interior). However, there is an uninsulated 12'x12' addition that was built around a stairwell of sorts leading from the kitchen to the basement. Lot's of wasted space, so I'm going to reconfigure it and make it more useful. I also lose heat from the kitchen to it.

The walls of the addition consist only of shake nailed to horizontal strips about 12" apart (no exterior sheathing), I can see the shake from the inside. The interior is finished with a cardboard like material. I plan to sheet rock the interior, but I'm clueless how to insulate these walls. Should I put some kind of barrier between the studs, before I insulate? Otherwise any water that get's between the shingles will wet the insulation. Suggestions on type of insulation (I live in New Jersey)? Advice appreciated. Thanks!

p.s. Would the same apply to exterior walls WITH planking?)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vosseller_Cottage

Oops! I meant to post this in the Old House forum, apologies if misplaced! Newbie error. :p

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Replacing shower recessed light with vent/light
Our house has a 6" can light over the bath/shower....
postalgbv
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
Posted this in another forum but looking for more answers. I...
tlbean2004
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
tmolly
1960 Ranch Remodel
We recently moved into a 1960 ranch home in Vestavia...
Red Mountain Media
Average hourly rate for electrician?
We are having to do some rewiring of old knob/tube...
dainaadele
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™