Changing edge style of formica countertops

ponderous1April 5, 2010

I have formica kitchen countertops that I want to re-cover. They are in pristine condition but I want to go over them with a dark formica. The front edge has the 45 degree cut to it and I would like to change to a standard squared edge. Is there a way to remove and replace the front edge only?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You'd have to cut off the front edge of the counter to remove the bevel. Depending on the existing overhang you might have to add material to make up for what you cut off.

    Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 10:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

So if I had to add material to make up for the loss would I just use a strip of lumber and screw it into the cut edge?

    Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 12:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I actually learned that I would use glue and biscuits to attach the new strip.

Thank you for your help Mike...I appreciate it! :-)

    Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 9:26AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Do I match exterior door/window hardware to interior?
We will have white interior doors with oil rubbed bronze...
Build an Addition, Move, or Stick it out?
We live in a land-locked area with high real estate prices....
Help! Ceilings are dipping!
I don't know if this is just an unusual series of events...
How does a General Contractor I need one ?
I am new to remodeling anything in my house. I have...
Acting As My Own GC, Missing One Peice of the Puzzle
I am doing a kitchen renovation. I won't be moving...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™