Interior design fees

nerdApril 24, 2013

We are working on an additon that involves a full gut remodel of our kitchen and the end product will have a kitchen / family room space. I met with a designer here in Michigan who indicated she charges $100 per hour and estimated the job would take about 40 hours. The scope would include selection of all the finishes, flooring, counters, furniture etc. as well as space planning and assistance during the installation to ensure everything looks good. Does this rate seem reasonable?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Did you get any other prices for the same scope from another designer? That would be the best place to start with 3 prices.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 10:02AM
GreenDesigns

Most designers get their fees from marking up the product to retail from the discount that they get from sourcing it at wholesale or to the trade only sources. 20% is a going rate. You usally don't end up paying any more than what you would by just buying retail with no assistance. If you prefer to do the by the hour bit, $100 an hour is low, as are the amount of hours estimated. $4000 is low total compensation for such a large project. Is there a cap on the fee? If you pass the 40 hours and still don't have products fnalized, what happens then?

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 10:28AM
nerd

Thanks for the feedback I am in the process of getting estimates from other designers. So far though the hourly rates are higher. The fee does not include the material costs.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 10:51AM
live_wire_oak

With that low of a rate, and how the compensation is structured, I'd really be leery if in fact she really is a qualified designer. Or merely a "decorator". What trade groups is she a member of? Where did she receive her degree?

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 11:05AM
dnichols57

The best way to choose a designer is by finding a local design association and getting a list of names of members. Those who take the time to stay accredited with an association are usually the best. Try the IIDA. http://www.iida.org/

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 12:35PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Not sure where you live, but here in So California, a lot of retail stores offer design services for free if you purchase from them. You could check that out also.

Good luck!

Suzi

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:30AM
More Discussions
Structural Engineer - What do I need to Know?
I'm planning a kitchen gut/remodel in my three-story,...
Carrie B
? remove wood siding b4 replacing with vinyl
I plan on having my 1950 split level resided in the...
abbey_cny
WCB QUESTION FOR CONTRACTORS
I live in BC, so I realize the answer may not be the...
houseofmagnolia
Home Remodeling, who to hire, what are the steps
I will be closing on a new house that requires some...
hellokitty_kt
4" or 5" rounded newell posts--where to order?
Is there such a thing as a 4" or 5" round...
bisondaktelcom
Sponsored Products
Glen Isle Rectangular Outdoor Dining Table in Blue Gold, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Paula Deen Lavender 15-piece Signature Porcelain Cookware Set
Overstock.com
Innermost | Lighthouse Large Flat Pendant Light
$755.10 | YLighting
Robert Abbey Iris Antique Brass Halogen Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Black Cubby Storage Bench
$39.99 | zulily