Sound Reduction in Remodel

divotdivaApril 16, 2013

We are in the early design stages of a remodel to include bumping out our back wall to enlarge the master bedroom and bath. Our neighbors behind are renters and can be noisy, depends on who is renting. I would like to reduce the sound transmission from their property - there is already a mason/cement block wall between us but their property is higher so sound seems to deflect downward into our bedroom window. I understand there is a commonly used solution to install two sheets of drywall with green glue, perhaps with MLV ? to reduce the sound waves that may travel through the wall. I also know I will replace the single pane windows with double pane. Does anyone have any suggestions to improve this ? I may also install the drywall / green glue on the inside walls between the master bedroom and the other rooms if it will improve my serenity / peace of mind not listening to teenagers.

Anyone with similar issue and solution?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

2x6 construction with foam insulation plus the double drywall layer. It's the voids in the sheathing and window area that allow sound through. Foaming will fill those and air seal completely. It's NOT cheap. And then you may need to worry about fresh air exchanges in your master suite, especially when running a bath fan. You can't exhaust air from a room unless it's replaced in some way. That replacement will either come from the rest of the house that is less tight (supposing sufficienctly undercut doors) or it will come from an open window or a duct designed to supply replacement air. The latter is the better option, as you can then keep your sound cocoon intact, and also filter the incoming air for pollens, etc.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 10:11AM
divotdiva

Thanks GreenDesigns. I will open windows often - it's just when they are noisy, I want to close them off.....for sleeping. I can easily open a door or window in the suite when running bath fan. Maybe I'll vent it toward their house along with my a/c so they can enjoy the fan noise. We're in Hawaii in builder grade suburbia, there is NO insulation in the house at all. No, not even the attic space. So your solution should definitely help.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 1:46AM
brickeyee

Use some steel studs and double layers of 5/8 inch drywall.

Make sure you pay attention to ALL the gaps on the side facing them.
Even soffit vents in the bedroom area will allow sound in.

Calling the police might help when it gets loud during 'sleeping' hours.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 1:32PM
divotdiva

thanks Brickeyee, my other neighbor is a police officer, LOL. I will make sure to pay attention to anything I can caulk!

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 3:37AM
clg7067

Get windows with laminated glass.

I saw an episode on Holmes on Homes where he cut some holes in the wall so he could apply a dense soundproofing material to the back of the electrical outlets. Then, afterwards, he put up the extra drywall layer.

Sounds like an episode you need to watch.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 4:08PM
clg7067

Here it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall of Sound

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 4:09PM
8mpg

dense pack cellulose blow in insulation.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 1:57AM
More Discussions
Ideas on changing floorplan / budget remodel for family home.
Hello; We are a family of five. Currently our oldest...
newdawn2001
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
"Green" Remodeling - where to start?
We would like to remodel using materials and processes...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
isabelyw
Laying tile without cement board?
We pulled some tile up in several spaces. The tile...
nostalgicfarm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™