Best sliding door replacement?

jxbrownApril 16, 2012

I would like to replace some sliding doors including a ground floor master bedroom. What would be the best quality door; Andersen, Pella, or something else? What would be most secure?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Marvin or Kolbe are two of the best residential sliding door system available. Andersen would be ok to decent and Pella would be at the very bottom of my list.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 10:30AM
jonnyp

I was at a friends house this weekend commenting on a slider we put in over 25 yrs ago. It is a 6'w Andersen vinyl clad. It still looks pretty dam good and functions perfectly. I distinctly remember, myself and a few other friends were floored that he paid $1200 back then. You get what you pay for.
This door has seen a lot of use, it functions as the back door to a deck and pool.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 7:03PM
bdam

Sorry if this is necroposting but I have the same question and am looking for some clarification on millworkman's answer.

I have a 72x80 opening to my patio that currently has an inward-swing patio door that's rusting out so I'm in the market for a a slider and I'm not overly fussy about looks/color/material. So when millworkman suggests Kolbe or Marvin is that applicable to just certain lines? I got a quote for a Integrity All-Ultrex slider starting at $1,100 which seems really reasonable but there are also the Infinity (All Ultrex) and Marvin (Aluminum) lines. Kolbe has five different lines ranging from what I assume are the cheapest (Latitude - vinyl) up to more expensive (Ultra - Aluminum).

So when Marvin/Kolbe are recommended over say Jeld-Wen, Pella, Anderson is there any necessary caveat for the cheaper lines?

(Yes, I just registered today, no I don't work for any of these companies. No axe to grind, just a lurker who is trying to get better value than I would find a big-box store. Read lots of threads, appreciate the insight on these forums.)

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 4:28PM
Trebruchet

bdam:

Are you in a hurricane zone? That's a different world. Oceanfront? You need tinted turtle glass to contain your light pollution. Check everything.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 5:33PM
bdam

I'm in Michigan; no hurricanes or sea salt for me.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 8:45PM
millworkman

Marvin Ultimate (either all wood or wood clad extruded aluminum), Integrity or Infinity (both Ultrex ((fiberglass)), or Kolbe Ultra (either all wood or wood extruded aluminum clad) are what I would recommend as the top choices in my opinion. Anything Jeldwen or Pella run the other way, Andersen depending on the series is ok.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 6:52AM
More Discussions
I need help with making a decision to paint golden oak wood or restain
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
Pocket door questions
I am considering a butler's pantry/scullery addition...
rockybird
Question for contractors - after job is done (paying/thanking)
Hello. My bathroom remodel is wrapping up and I'll...
mrsshayne
Questions about attic & insulation
1980's era house. Blown in FG insulation which at this...
lucas_tx_gw
? remove wood siding b4 replacing with vinyl
I plan on having my 1950 split level resided in the...
abbey_cny
Sponsored Products
Prandina | Gong Small S1 Pendant Light
$760.00 | YLighting
Fire Magic Aurora A530i Built In Grill - A530I
Hayneedle
Giza Set of Two Pillowcases
$389.00 | FRONTGATE
DreamLine Unidoor Plus 72 in. H x 47 - 48 in. W Frameless Hinged Shower Door,Cle
Overstock.com
Small Aged-Silver Sculpture
$170.00 | Horchow
Rectangular Bench Box-Edge Outdoor Cushion
Home Decorators Collection
Berkeley 72" Double Bathroom Vanity by Wyndham Collection - Dark Chestnut
Modern Bathroom
Lever Handles for Commercial Faucet - Chrome
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™