Vinyl shakes vs fiber cement? help!

mindgameMarch 4, 2014

We're doing a remodel and trying to decide between vinyl shakes and fiber cement. Our architect originally spec'd cedar shingles but that seems to be a lot more maintenance than we'd like. Any thoughts on the durability and maintenance and other factors between vinyl shakes v fiber cement? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Fiber composite siding does need some maintenance. It needs to be painted and end cuts sealed to prevent moisture absorbtion. That sealing(at ends of rows and butt joints) needs periodic inspection/maintenance.

Vinyl does not need as much maintenance, but will fade over time and can get brittle, allowing impact cracks/holes.

15-20 years ago, I helped build about 60 Habitat for Humanity homes. Many had vinyl lap siding and many others had Hardi plank lap siding. I toured those areas last year and the painted Hardi siding looked better. Not a huge difference, since we used heavy guage vinyl, but enough to see a difference.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 11:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snookums2

Hardiplank is forever (meaning your lifetime). You can also paint it if you tire of the color. It is a good wood look alike. It is more expensive to install, with special requirements, including dust control.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
Potential Contractor wants to have my SS Number ?
Good morning everyone! I'm in the process interviewing...
Marina Yashmanov
WCB QUESTION FOR CONTRACTORS
I live in BC, so I realize the answer may not be the...
houseofmagnolia
Joint Compound on Plaster Walls - Discoloration and bubbles?
We are having joint compound applied to our old plaster...
gqchynaboy
Small bath remodel - problem tub size
I could use some advice. We decided it is high time...
thomis
Stucco On French Door Installation
Hi, I am replacing a window with french doors in the...
shaklee3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™