Viking Appliances? Yes No?

acw6455March 17, 2012

Hello to everyone! I am new here so please forgive me if I am posting to the wrong forum!

I am re-doing my kitchen appliances and here are the appliances I am interested in. ( prices reflect quotes done by appliance store ) Please voice your opinions as I am not familiar with appliances and I do not want to make a mistake in buying a bad brand.

VCFF136SS 36" French Door(no ice maker) $3590

VDSC5304BSS 30" Dual fuel range $4840

VWH3010SS 30" Wall Hood W/21 10"H $990

VWCI1240GRSS 24" Wine center $2620

VDB40SS 24" PRO DW $980 ( they gave me 750 off )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

I'm sure someone will post here about how they love their viking appliances, but most independent testing shows that the high end appliances are actually the LEAST reliable. You are paying for the name brand, not quality.

eg this is what consumer reports has to say about the gas version of that viking range. The wiring actually melted on 2 separate units. Viking had to redesign it so ti wasn't a fire hazard. Even after the repairs, it still rated lower than the mass market brands.

http://news.consumerreports.org/appliances/2012/03/update-consumer-reports-removes-dont-buy-performance-problem-judgment-from-viking-range.html

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 9:20AM
doug_gb

In 2005 we purchased a Viking gas range with grill, hood, exhauster, and refrigerator. It all has worked well. The range is particularlly easy to clean (open burners). We have had several service calls on the fridge - that we're not happy about, but the design and function works well.

Remember that manufacturer's buy most of the parts. In many cases there may be only 1 or 2 suppliers. So a Viking, Wolf, Thermador, etc may have some of the same parts. The same for refrigeration compressors and cold controls, expansion valves, etc.

I would make sure I liked the layout, easy of cleaning, etc.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 1:11PM
Jumpilotmdm

Check their warranty. You'll be un-pleasantly surprised to see what and how long they aren't for the big bucks you're spending.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 4:04PM
surplustexas

Hey my friend closed his high end appliance store and has lots of subzero, dacor, wolf appliances, grills, etc. to off load. write me at surplustexas@aol.com and I can get you more info

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 2:48PM
Blythewood

I wouldn't unless you are wanting to make a fashion statement. If you want something economical buy something that has parts readily available, unless you have a back up fridge. An appliance repairman told me to stay away from LG and Samsung because parts are hard to come by. But, a Sub-Zero fridge or Wolf stove sure looks cool and helps a house sell.

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
How does a General Contractor work...do I need one ?
I am new to remodeling anything in my house. I have...
jeannette10
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
Shaker style question
What are y'all's opinions on Shaker style cabinetry....should...
janelor
Laying tile without cement board?
We pulled some tile up in several spaces. The tile...
nostalgicfarm
Remodel for your taste vs possible sale
We plan to be in our house for 4-5 more years. It's...
thbennet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™