Unlacquered brass and well water....

threeapplesApril 22, 2013

Is this a bad combination? I'm about to pull the trigger on an Herbeau flamande kitchen faucet in unlacquered brass and copper--is this a mistake with well water? And, along those lines, what about polished nickel finishes in our bathrooms--a mistake with well water?

For the faucet--is the Flamande an appropriate size and scale for our large Kohler Whitehaven? I really don't know how to figure all this out. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

It depends on the well water. Most well water will need a whole house treatment system if you want to avoid white mineral buildup on everything, including the internal parts of your faucet. Some well water will turn your brass and copper green.

Have your water tested and engage the services of a respected water treatment company to devise you a plan.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 4:59PM
Holly- Kay

We have well water too and I decided to not go with a living finish on my waterstone because I knew our hard water would cause a lot of calcium spots and mineral deposits because of the high mineral content. Some people love the patina that is caused by aging and minerals but I wanted mine to retain it's original beauty so I went with a finish that had a clear coat. Beautiful faucet BTW.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:11PM
threeapples

Thanks, Holly. The faucet I want (Flamande) does not come in a lacquered brass. That leaves the Royale, but I'm not sure I like it as well.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:19PM
Holly- Kay

I think they are both lovely! You have great taste and honestly if you don't like the natural patina that starts to develop you can always polish it from time to time Good luck, I know you will love it! Please post pics when you get it installed.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:32PM
gbsim1

Well water is not "universal" in qualities. It can be hard as a rock or soft as can be, full of junk or almost pure as R/O water.

Has your plumber or well installer sent samples off to a lab for general testing aside from the bacteria test required for occupancy?

Lots of helpful info over at the plumbing forum..... We wound up using a softening system since ours was very hard. With appropriate treatment, I'd think you could use any type of fixures that you wanted.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:54PM
Holly- Kay

Thank you GB. Our water is wonderful to drink and no bacteria issues but the spots and discoloration from it is annoying!

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:58PM
threeapples

Our water was tested and it was fine, we recently had a softener installed.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
Fell in love and threw away kitchen design
Gardenweb has been my savior as I struggle through...
beachem
General Contractor bid excessive?
I'm doing a forced remodel due to a flood and handling...
beachem
Ideas to make this an eat- in kitchen
The kitchen in our new old house is pretty small and...
poppy3212
White Kitchen Reveal
This is my second kitchen reno with the help of this...
rbpdx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™