Caught between remodeling and building new.

marjenMarch 18, 2013

Is anyone else in the same boat? We built our current house around 13 years ago. I figured it was a place we would be in for 5-10 years MAX and we would sell and build another house. We did try and sell a couple times over the years, both times pulled it off the market for various reasons. During both of those times we underwent some remodeling projects.

So here I sit again, itching to build one more house. But also torn. Can we afford it? Will this house sell this time? Where will we live while we build? Is it worth the stress? What do I really hate about this house?

We have two kids, 12 and 14, so putting house on market and building and the time involved is a concern. Hard to keep house spotless with such busy lives. So my wife is real worried about ths stress of the entire project which would take at least a year.

Last remodel we redid the kitchen and turned garage into a family/dining room. I love both spaces. This winter we remodeled the kids bathroom and finally got it right. But, I really hate our yard, I would like a garage, i would like a house without cathedral ceilings. Things I can not easier change here. I also just love designing and have a plan I drew up 3 years ago when we were going to build that i still like the majority off. I just cant decide if its really worth it. Or do I keep chipping away I things I dont like here? Seems kind of pointless as I dont think any more changes will bring in long term profits.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

You'll never be satisfied till you build again!

(I dream every night about homebuilding. Also, about being 27 again. But there's only so much that is achiveable.)

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 10:42

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 10:40AM
live_wire_oak

Building a garage wouldn't be that costly, so why not see about doing just that project, and then getting the kids through school. When that's done, you probably would want a smaller home, so that would be the perfect time to build again.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 12:33PM
cindywhitall

Would your kids be changing schools? How do they feel? If they are doing well and have friends you approve of, I would not change high schools.

can you off the cathedral ceilings? Maybe claim some storage space from them?

Can you change what you hate about your yard?

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 11:58AM
marjen

We do have space to add a garage, but none are ideal and add to cost of the project. The logic place would be next to the house, but the yard severely slopes from front to back, to the point where when you walk out of the basement its still another 7' to ground level. So we would need a massive foundation to build a garage there. Could add one in front of where the old one was, but would require a reconfiguration of driveway and site work :(

I would want to stay in town. Kids are comfortable here and we have made a lot of friends in town. I like it here. Not a lot of land on the market though.

Have thought about just staying put until kids leave but how realistic is it going to be to build while putting two kids through college?

The yard is hopeless. I need to win one of those landscape make over shows lol. It slopes all over, needs retaining walls, the lawn needs help, lots of work. I love doing the interior work but hate dealing with the yard.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
New walls and New ceilings, what should I know?
We're not planning on doing the work ourselves, but...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
What decisions, materials, can cut costs when remodeling?
If you really have a budget to work within, how do...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Removing brick and install what?
Just for the sake of discussion...if one was to remove...
mlo1
Replacing shower recessed light with vent/light
Our house has a 6" can light over the bath/shower....
postalgbv
Build an Addition, Move, or Stick it out?
We live in a land-locked area with high real estate prices....
neverlandpirate
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™