New Floor, New Trim?

MarenALMarch 2, 2014

I am getting quotes for replacing our vinyl floor with porcelain tile in the kitchen/hall/half-bath/and laundry room.

Here is my question: is new trim (quarter round) necessary? It seems like it is unneeded for the most part, unless the trim is in bad shape. And since I'd have to prime and paint the new trim white to replace the old, why couldn't I just repaint the old trim so it looks new again?

I suppose in the long run over the entire cost of the floor it is a pittance but it seems like the main argument for replacing it is that it's easier to rip out than to take it up carefully for reuse. And if that's the issue, I can remove it myself. Am I missing something?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

The easiest way to cover the cut edges is with 1/4 rnd. and is typical with a modern or bullnose base. It would be a different story if you have a 711 or mpre decorative base.

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 9:41PM
HandyMac

The labor involved for an installer to remove, clean, repaint, and reinstall old trim is usually much more expensive than simply painting/installing new trim.

If you do the work, cost is not a factor. In fact, reinstalling the old trim should be less expensive, since there is no cutting/fitting necessary.

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 10:14PM
MarenAL

Thanks folks. I think I could try to save the trim but probably not worth the trouble and opportunity cost.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 8:28PM
jcalhoun

If the trim is brittle or glued in place it could break when you try to remove it.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 4:05AM
Trebruchet

MarenAL:

Here in southern Florida, one of the worst details I see is tile on concrete run up to baseboard then grouted. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

I would pull the baseboard, install Ditra, install tile and grout leaving a gap between the edge of the tile and wall. Cover the gap with the recycled or new baseboard. Make your tile persons follow the manufacturer's installation instructions, I don't care how long they've been doing it their way.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 9:50AM
rwiegand

I never manage to get baseboard off without banging it up or breaking it, so I save a lot of irritation by planning to replace to from the start. (Unless, of course it is particularly interesting or historic, or otherwise hard to replicate.

In our current house the baseboard was installed before the hardwood floor and the nails are hidden behind the hardwood. It's a nightmare to get out. Now I'm just sawing it off flush with the floor. (It's a painted, simple '50's shoe molding that will be replaced with a ~8" tall cherry Craftsman style baseboard.)

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Just on observation
Just observing these forums I see the word "cheap"...
Precision Carpentry
Dog Grooming/Bathing Station, show me your pictures, please
I really need to include a bathing/grooming area in...
thbennet
Designer vs contractor
Hi all, New to the forum here. Purchsed a 1960's bungalow...
houseofmagnolia
4" or 5" rounded newell posts--where to order?
Is there such a thing as a 4" or 5" round...
bisondaktelcom
Joint Compound on Plaster Walls - Discoloration and bubbles?
We are having joint compound applied to our old plaster...
gqchynaboy
Sponsored Products
Central Oriental Encore Rondelle Area Rug - Dark Wine - 8922DW58
$191.99 | Hayneedle
Sumatra Bamboo Pedestal
| Dot & Bo
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Piper
$69.00 | Home Depot
Cork Pops 13238 Refill Cartridges (Pack of 2)
Overstock.com
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Khazana Jefferson Linen 2 ft. 3 in.
Home Depot
Friedmond Dark Bronze Metal Arc Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Solid Hardwood Hand-carved Grape Leaf Scrolls (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Fabbian | Jnat - Low Voltage Recessed Lighting
$167.40 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™