crossposted to Old Houses -- getting rid of this chimney?
Our 1906 house has a brick chimney going up through the middle of the house ... including through the middle of our upstairs bedroom. It really makes the room look/feel less spacious and blocks quite a bit of the light from the window.
It's unused in the sense that the kitchen wood stove it used to be connected to is not there anymore. But I can see that the gas furnace and the water heater vent into it, in the basement.
What am I looking at in terms of removal here? Do the furnace/water heater vents go through the chimney all the way up to the roof? How do I find out? Since the chimney's walled in and not bothering anyone in the kitchen, I would be happy (nay ecstatic) if it could just be removed down below the second floor.