Noise from neighbor, what can we do?

paintpantherMarch 26, 2011

It is not my neighbors fault i trully believe it is just this condo was not built to the standard.

Anyways, every morning i wake up to noises from our neighbors like opening the microwave door, pushing buttons on the microwave, putting the coffee cup in the microwave, just all kinds of noise of a normal household grrrrr.

We already have curtains but the window is not where the neighbor is. we do have wood floors and dont want rugs because my cats will destroy them anyways. We are looking into improving the insulation in the wall between the two units. What are these options? i have read about maxiboards, also those noise cancelling foam but still am not sure which is best/most economic approach.

any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

You may want to read this recent thread for starters...

Here is a link that might be useful: Soundproofing

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 8:56PM
Fori is not pleased

(If you do go for rugs for some reason, I found cats don't like hooked rugs--they don't like getting snagged. Of course if they're barfing on it, never mind.)

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 9:30PM
metaxa

Are your neighbours beside or above or below you?

I'm going to assume beside. When they build multi story buildings they often leave a pass way open between units so the trades don't waste time going out into the hall and such all day.

Often this pass through is not buttoned up properly, just drywalled over.

there are all kinds of sound attenuation products available. Some are great for a DIY, some really need a pro.

Easiest would be to cut open any vents or electrical penetrations in the wall and seal them up well, patch and then put another layer of sound deadening drywall over the whole wall. Paint.

Next would be to remove the drywall along the entire wall and use acoustic sealant, sound putty, sound deadening insulation, resisliant channels and sound deadening drywall.

You will never get it all unless it is designed in from the beginning but you can sure cut sound transfer back a lot with the products available.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
Quartzite vs granite countertops
We are building a house. I have always wanted to use...
libby-momsy
Have exterior wall open-questions about improving insulation
I have a 1980s era house, so not the greatest in terms...
lucas_tx_gw
need help designing shed dormers
we bought an 1864 post and beam house and want to add...
lisafromvermont
Designer vs contractor
Hi all, New to the forum here. Purchsed a 1960's bungalow...
houseofmagnolia
adding a room, relocating stairs, relocating kitchen
My husband and I are planning on adding a one story...
soapstoneshel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™