What comes first stacked stone or wood mantel?

northminnesotaMarch 4, 2011

We are having our brick fireplace and old oak mantel replaced. They will be using stacked stone over the brick. The cabinet people attached the mantel to the brick and then they stone workers are coming to reface around it. Is that correct?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chrisk327

you can do it either way. the only issues with what your contractor is planning is, the mantle is more likely to be damaged if installed first, and depending on what you're doing, the stone can eat up mantle space.

plenty are done this way, its just things to think about.

the alternative is, put up a mounting block of some sort attached to the brick (smaller than mantle), then install stone, attach mantle to mounting block.

it really depends on the style of the mantle and stone and the desired look. I would assume that a contractor should be able to install stone around a mantle and no scratch it.

my mantle, which isn't in place yet, and the stone isn't in place yet, will be a barn beam. they're not particularly deep, so the plan is to put up a mounting block and attach the beam after the stone, basically on top of the stone to get more of a ledge.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 10:03AM
More Discussions
Do I match exterior door/window hardware to interior?
We will have white interior doors with oil rubbed bronze...
happyallison
Getting ready to remodel the second floor, where to start?
We are beginning to interview contractors. Would like...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89 x-post
x-posted in Windows forum We're getting ready to remodel...
lisa_a
Any reviews of J & K Cabinetry?
We are redoing our kitchen and I came across this type...
Jill_homemaker
Acting As My Own GC, Missing One Peice of the Puzzle
I am doing a kitchen renovation. I won't be moving...
homechef59
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™