hardibacker substrate for glass mosaic tile backsplash

dwichmanMarch 7, 2012

Hi all,

I have a 9 foot wall on the range side of my galley kitchen where I'd like to install glass mosaic tile backsplash, most likely 1 x 2" rectangles on 12" mesh sheets. I know hardibacker is not typically required in this location, however the last two feet (left side) of my wall is actually the side of a floor to ceiling cabinet with a laminate surface. This means I have a joint from cabinet to drywall that I'd like to tile over.

I'm afraid that over time where the two surfaces meet each other this will pose a challenge for the tiles as they can move, expand/contract, deflect, etc. independently and cause the tiles to come loose, crack, etc.

My first thought was to use 1/4" hardibacker as a substrate and thin set and screw it in place only for this wall so that the tiles have a solid continuous substrate to bond with. Do you think this will work?

Second question, I see lots of backsplashes where the tile sits right on top of the countertop with no room for grout or caulking. To me this seems like a bad idea as any spills or splashes seem like they would penetrate into the wall more easily. Any advice here?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"I see lots of backsplashes where the tile sits right on top of the countertop with no room for grout or caulking."

A joint the same width as the grout joints should be there, and caulked.

If caulk that matches the grout is used it often looks very good.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
Open or closed floor plan into dining room?
We are in the process of doing a home addition off...
betshsu
Help! Ceilings are dipping!
I don't know if this is just an unusual series of events...
andrelaplume2
Clueless - help me decide on floorplan!
I need help! We are renovating and adding on to a 1600...
essenay
Acting As My Own GC, Missing One Peice of the Puzzle
I am doing a kitchen renovation. I won't be moving...
homechef59
Cutting a notch into rafters to push LVLs into the ceiling?
We have a load-bearing wall we'd like to remove. We...
progressnerd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™